ubl message

Subject: RE: [ubl] Understanding code list declarations

Ken,

IMO, the simple type unconstrained CurrencyCodeType is an error due to
previously reported missing and inconsistent information in the hand crafted
spreadsheets for code lists that were imported into EDIFIX to create the
data models, and subsequent CBC schema module.

I believe there is an action item to correct the hand crafted spreadsheets
for the next schema generation.  Once the spreadsheets are accurate, EDIFIX
will create the correct data models and auto generate the correct CBC schema
module with complex types for all identified CodeTypes with the
corresponding constraints.

On a slightly different note, we recently changed the name of EDIFIX to
GEFEG.FX to reflect the added functionality in the product from the original
product that only included EDI functionality. We will refer to GEFEG.FX as
just FX in the future.

Regards,
Sylvia

-----Original Message-----
From: G. Ken Holman [mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com]
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 2:04 PM
To: Universal Business Language
Subject: [ubl] Understanding code list declarations

Hi folks!

I'm working on my code list obligations and I'm confused about something
that I see in the UBL 2 schemas.

I note the following in my analysis:

   <Context item="@cbc:amountCurrencyID" codes="CurrencyCodeContentType"/>
   <Context item="cac:CurrencyCode" codes="CurrencyCodeType"/>
   <Context item="in:InvoiceCurrencyCode" codes="CurrencyCodeType"/>
   <Context item="in:PricingCurrencyCode" codes="CurrencyCodeType"/>
   <Context item="cac:SourceCurrencyCode" codes="CurrencyCodeType"/>
   <Context item="cac:TargetCurrencyCode" codes="CurrencyCodeType"/>
   <Context item="in:TaxCurrencyCode" codes="CurrencyCodeType"/>

What caught my eye was the existence of both "CurrencyCodeContentType"
(which is constrained to the ISO list) and "CurrencyCodeType" (which is
unconstrained):

   <xsd:simpleType name="CurrencyCodeContentType">
     <xsd:restriction base="xsd:token">
       <xsd:enumeration value="AED">
         <xsd:annotation ...

   <xsd:complexType name="CurrencyCodeType">
     <xsd:simpleContent>
       <xsd:extension base="xsd:normalizedString">
         <xsd:attribute ...

I'm curious why we don't constrain all currency values the same way ... is
this an oversight in the schemas?

If not, which of the following should I provide to trading partners needing
code list value validation?

   - only one degree of flexibility (all currencies),
   - two degrees of flexibility (CurrencyCodeContentType and
CurrencyCodeType)
   - seven degrees of flexibility (@cbc:amountCurrencyID, cac:CurrencyCode,
in:InvoiceCurrencyCode, in:PricingCurrencyCode, cac:SourceCurrencyCode,
cac:TargetCurrencyCode, and in:TaxCurrencyCode)?

Thanks for your guidance!

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Washington,DC 2006-03-13/17
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc