ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Codelists Re: [ubl] Minutes UBL Atlantic call April 262006

I can see what Stephen is trying to achieve here but it seems rather convoluted.  I am not sure that we cannot just say:
"The use of XSD's 'fixed' attribute MAY be used to restrict supplementary component attributes to use of particular values in a UBL qualified datatype
schema "
and have done with it.

It seems to me if we are relying on post schema validation then anything in the schema is at best a recommendation for what values to use.  If an implementation changes that to suit their requirements then they manage the impact.  In other words, making the value 'fixed' still does not ensure compatible code values because we dont know how these will be validated.

Stephen Green wrote:
ACTION ITEM:  a provisional NDRule for use of XSD's 'fixed' and
'default' attributes
in qualified code types

"The use of XSD's 'fixed' attribute MAY be used to restrict
supplementary component
attributes to use of particular values in a UBL qualified datatype
schema but only where
it is indisputably judged that future instances will never need to
change the values of
these supplementary component attributes. Where a change might be
required, if there
is a requirement to include a value for such supplementary components in the UBL
qualified datatype schema, XSD's 'default' attribute MUST be used instead."

This could be reworded depending on the decision to the next issue:

To implement this, either:
1. we could add a column to the qualified datatype spreadsheet to
state whether the
attribute value of the particular supplementary component should be
fixed or default
or:
2. we could assume that all supplementary components of the same name use the
same XSD device ('fixed' or 'default' attribute) for the same
supplementary component
(e.g. listVersion would always be 'default' and never 'fixed') and we
could agree (as a
modelling decision) which attributes are 'fixed' and which have a
'default' value.

If the second we might reword the proposed NDR to:

"The use of XSD's 'fixed' attribute MAY be used to restrict
supplementary component
attributes to use of particular values in a UBL qualified datatype
schema but only where
it is indisputably judged that future instances will never need to
change the values of
that particular supplementary component attribute. Where a change
might be required,  if there is a requirement to specify a value for
some such supplementary components,
XSD's 'default' attribute MUST be used instead."

This matter should be resolved as soon as possible and agreed and
stated in the next
Atlantic TC call so that changes may be made to implement this in
schema generation
in good time for the Brussels plenary, as decided in today's Atlantic TC call.

Thanks

Stephen Green