ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Version number in file names

Hi Ken

Here's my take on it:

The issue may be, with UBL, that we use a urn-type namespace;
that is, one which doesn't in itself resolve to anything since
it can't double as a location.

This means that it should be possible to 'point' to some sort
of location from an instance other than by use of the namespace.
So the only way we provide for this is with the filename and/or
permanent url.

I'm very much in favour of the approach taken elsewhere of using
an aliasing system whereby a given url can always point to the
latest schema: this involves providing the permanent url with
an alias which resolves automatically (via the web server) to the
latest minor version. If that permanent url is used in the instance
(schemaLocation in UBL's case) then it is immune to minor version
changes (which should always be backwards compatible).

As ebXML TC enlightened me, there is a nice finishing touch to this
in that it should also be possible to 'point' with a more specific
url in the schemaLocation to the particular minor version you want.

The latter twist could be helped by having the actual files contain
the minor version and then asking the OASIS administrators to
provide an alias on the web server without the minor portion which
points to the latest minor version file. Alternatively an alias could
perhaps point by a specific url to the latest version even without
the need to include that minor version id in the filename but by using
folders with the minor version - perhaps a more 'standard' way.

EbXML-BP is an example of this but there the namespace itself resolves
so less emphasis on the filename itself is needed I suppose.

All seems good to me if it allows instances to remain neutral about
minor version (particularly apparent as an advantage if they use the
major version) and immune from minor version changes completely by
being less specific in their schemaLocation attribute content but
especially being less specific in trading agreement references needed
to specify the standard and version used. Then trading partner agreements
don't have to change (or software) whenever a new minor version is issued.

Why should I have to provide in validating software and instances (and TPAs)
for every minor version and add changes whenever a new one comes out when
with the above I can just use the latest minor version without impact on
the systems. The only impact is then the actual value-delivering one - that
of use of the latest changes should instances be accepted which include them
And if I don't want that possibility I can exclude it by being more specific
in my TPAs about the version(s) allowed (but still use the latest schema files
for my validation if they are truly backwards compatible in that way).

- my more lengthy, thought out response :-)

All the best

Steve