ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 2 August 2006

MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
15:00 - 17:00 UTC WEDNESDAY 2 AUGUST 2006

ATTENDANCE

   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Mavis Cournane
   Betty Harvey
   G. Ken Holman
   Andy Schoka
   Paul Thorpe

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar:
      http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm

      MC: Add ATG2 meeting.

   Tri-XML (GKH)

      GKH: Keynote was well received.  Got an interesting question
      about separate delivery addresses per line item.

   Review of Pacific call

      No comments.

MONTREAL AGENDA

   PT: Add me to the participant list.

   MC: UN/CEFACT item should be scheduled at a time when TM can
   participate.

   ACTION: JB to contact TM and find a time for the UN/CEFACT
   report earlier in the week.

   JB: Which was that latest version of GKH's paper on
   customization methodology?

   GKH: 0.4 was the last:

      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=18849

   Note that this is the cleanest way to reference any document,
   because it shows all the revisions:

      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=NNNNN

   We should start using the revision feature and cite all of our
   documents this way.

NDR

   The document itself

      JB: Had terrible time separating the checklist from the rest
      of the document.

      MC: Yes, there are horrible [mechanical] problems with the
      document.

      JB: SW has suggested that this is due to change-related
      cruft maintained in the MSWord format.  OK to get rid of
      past changes?

      MC: Would be happy with that.

      JB: Is the checklist generated?

      MC: No, just copy and paste.  No need to maintain changes;
      we do a separate change log.

      GKH: Have posted a docbook model and stylesheets: Weds 12
      july "Docbook-based OASIS template...":

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200607/msg00054.html

      BH: Could convert the doc to docbook; that would allow
      generation of the checklist.  Have a script that could be
      adapted to this.

      ACTION: MC to send the latest version of the NDR doc to BH;
      BH to consider changes to her script that would take Word to
      docbook and try for something to use by the meeting in
      Montréal.

      MC: Have done a lot of editing over the last few weeks but
      have received no feedback.

   IND7 (UBLVersionID)

      GKH: Never realized till the 19th that we had instance rules
      in NDRs. Feel that there is no role for instance rules in
      NDRs; these are rules for transforming the abstract model
      into schema; business rules for instances are more than just
      NDRs.

      JB: What are the rules for instances in the NDRs?

      AS: IND1-IND7.

      GKH: You cannot implement using schema the requirement that
      the version of the schema must be found as an element in the
      instance.

      JB: That is, you can require the element, but you can't
      verify its content.  So in IND7, it's the last sentence that
      GKH is objecting to.

      MC: SW requested this.

      GKH: Presumably because FX supports instances.

      AGREED that the last sentence of IND7 should be moved into
      the text as an expectation rather than a requirement.

      AGREED that we should put the question of instance rules in
      the NDRs on the agenda for Montréal and consider putting
      all the instance rules into a separate document covering
      best practices.

      JB: Now regarding the IND7 issue per se (minoccurs=0 rather
      than minoccurs=1 as intended)...

      GKH: It should remain minoccurs=0 because it's not possible
      to enforce; you could just leave the element empty.  I
      thought this should be optional anyway because it can't be
      validated.

      MC: It should be 1.

      AGREED that holding to minoccurs=1 per the current language
      in the NDRs would be a substantive change to the schemas.

      GKH: Making it optional goes with the original motivation
      for having the version element.  E.g., the NES could choose
      to make it mandatory in their subset.

      JB/MC: Our feeling depends on whether this is the one issue
      that would force another public review.

      AGREED to resolve this in Montréal.

ACTION ITEM REVIEW

   None pending.

OTHER BUSINESS

   JB: Note that this will be the last Atlantic TC call till 30
   August.

   MC: Is the Singapore meeting date definite?

   JB: Yes.

   ACTION: JB to obtain a copy of the latest NDRs from ATG.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC