ubl message

Subject: Copy edits to the common library

Hello UBL TC,

I've just finished an end-to-end copy edit of the common and
maindoc spreadsheets from PRD2.  This is the kind of stuff that
got done *after* UBL 1.0 went out (for the International Data
Dictionary); this time I'm determined to get clean copy *before*
the LSCs start translation.  Thanks to Roberto Cisternino of the
ITLSC for pointing out some of the problems that led me to get to
this earlier than I did last time.

Note that I am assuming that NO CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE to these
spreadsheets since PRD2.  If anyone has been revising the
spreadsheets since PRD2, those changes will have to be reapplied
to the newly edited versions.

Since the common and maindoc edits were done in two sessions a
couple of weeks apart, I'm bundling them up in two separate
messages.  This one has the common library.

The Common Library edit took place in two phases.  The first
run-through corrected several systematic problems with the text of
the definitions:

 - Capitalized the first letter of each sentence

 - Removed trailing spaces from entries

 - Put a period (full stop) at the end of each entry

 - Substituted ASCII versions of single quotes for the
   extended-character-set versions

These changes were (for the most part) not logged.

The second pass made the following corrections:

 - "Sub Total" (two words) became "Subtotal" (one word) per OED

 - "Over-supply" (interpreted as two words) became "over-supply"
   interpreted as one word

 - A number of typos were fixed, including

   "organisation" to "organization"
   "synchronise" to "synchronize"
   "sub-division" to "subdivision"
   "assosiation" to "association"
   "Free form" to "Free-form"
   "Free text" to "Free-text"
   "pickup" to "pick-up"

In addition, several editorial changes were made, including:

 - "The identifier for" was changed to "Identifies" wherever
   appropriate

 - A number of comma faults were repaired

I can't list all of the editorial changes, but an exhaustive diff
between the version of the definitions that came out of the first
editorial pass and the definitions that came out of the second one
is provided in the file "diffs2s4" attached.  IT IS IMPORTANT THAT
SOMEONE WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE BUSINESS CONTENT REVIEW THE DIFF TO
MAKE SURE THAT I HAVEN'T SCREWED ANYTHING UP.  Some of the diffs
are due to removal of trailing spaces; the two versions don't look
different, but they are.

All of these changes applied strictly to the Definition column of
the Common Library spreadsheet.  In addition, two of the changes
to the definitions (Sub Total to Subtotal and over-supply
interpreted as one word) necessitated changes to the DENs and the
UBL Names as well.

In the Dictionary Entry Name column, the following old DENs:

   Tax Sub Total. Details
   Tax Sub Total. Taxable_ Amount. Amount
   Tax Sub Total. Tax Amount. Amount
   Tax Sub Total. Calculation Sequence. Numeric
   Tax Sub Total. Transaction Currency_ Tax Amount. Amount
   Tax Sub Total. Percent
   Tax Sub Total. Exemption_ Reason. Text
   Tax Sub Total. Base Unit Measure. Measure
   Tax Sub Total. Per Unit_ Amount. Amount
   Tax Sub Total. Tier Range. Text
   Tax Sub Total. Tier Rate. Percent
   Tax Sub Total. Tax Category
   Tax Total. Tax Sub Total

were changed to these new DENs:

   Tax Subtotal. Details
   Tax Subtotal. Taxable_ Amount. Amount
   Tax Subtotal. Tax Amount. Amount
   Tax Subtotal. Calculation Sequence. Numeric
   Tax Subtotal. Transaction Currency_ Tax Amount. Amount
   Tax Subtotal. Percent
   Tax Subtotal. Exemption_ Reason. Text
   Tax Subtotal. Base Unit Measure. Measure
   Tax Subtotal. Per Unit_ Amount. Amount
   Tax Subtotal. Tier Range. Text
   Tax Subtotal. Tier Rate. Percent
   Tax Subtotal. Tax Category
   Tax Total. Tax Subtotal

And the one DEN

   Receipt Line. Over Supply Quantity. Quantity

was changed to

   Receipt Line. Oversupply Quantity. Quantity

Note that this interpretation of "over-supply" brings the entry
into line with

   Despatch Line. Oversupply_ Quantity. Quantity

but it's a mystery to me why the Despatch Line version has an
underscore after "Oversupply" and the Receipt Line does not.  I
have left the Despatch Line version unchanged in the edited
spreadsheets, BUT I STRONGLY SUSPECT THAT ONE OF THESE TWO DENs IS
INCORRECT.

The changes to the DENs resulted in two changes to the UBL Name
column:

   TaxSubTotal (two occurrences)

is now

   TaxSubtotal (two occurrences)

and

   OverSupplyQuantity (one occurrence, for Receipt Line)

is now

   OversupplyQuantity (two occurrences, because the one for
   Despatch Line was already OK)

The resulting edited Common Library spreadsheet is included in the
"zzz" file attached.  I have not bothered to produce an ODF
version; that will get done in later packaging.

Jon

common.zzz