ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Copy edits to the document spreadsheets

At 2006-08-20 09:25 +0800, Tim McGrath wrote:
>it may be too late to mention this but when
>checking the modifed definition of SubsetID i realize it is incorrect.
>
>to date we have used the term subset as a
>synonym for customization when it is not.

I agree.

>someone reading this would think it only applied
>to subsets and not to extensions or other forms
>of customization (ie only a strict subset).

In http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200606/msg00095.html we minuted:

    TM: But we do need something different from "subsetting";
    suggest we characterize the proposal as "an approach that can
    be used to solve any kind of customization, not just
    contextualization."

    AGREED that the word "customization" should be used to cover
    this.

>i think we meant it to mean any form of
>customized UBL (such as the NES customization)
>and so we should change the definitions.
>
>Can i propose...
>
>SubsetID =  Identifies a customization of UBL for a specific context of use.
>ProfileID =  Identifies a specific
>implementation profile of the customization of UBL being used.
>instead of...
>SubsetID =  Identifies a user-defined subset of UBL.
>ProfileID =  Identifies a user-defined profile
>of the subset of UBL being used.
>
>I would also suggest we change the name of
>SubsetID to be CustomizationID, but that may be
>too hard at this stage.  Any comments?

I totally agree and think this will have long
term benefit, based on what I've seen in my UBL
classroom and on comments to my paper where I
have been using the term "subset".  We should
check for and elide all uses of the term.

Thanks, Tim, for thinking to do it on the element
name ... it didn't cross my mind to do so.

--
UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
UBL International 2006  2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com