ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Pacific UBL TC call 16|17 October 2006

MINUTES OF PACIFIC UBL TC MEETING
00:30 - 02:30 UTC TUESDAY 17 OCTOBER 2006

ATTENDANCE

   Jon Bosak (chair)
   G. Ken Holman
   Tim McGrath (vice chair)
   Andy Schoka

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar:
      http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm

      None.

   Liaison report: UN/CEFACT

      AGREED to incorporate our input regarding code list support
      into the upcoming ATG/UBL NDR gap analysis.

   Subcommittee report: PSC

      JB: Note that Mark Leitch has been restored as PSC co-chair
      after a brief absence from OASIS membership.

      TM: Expected a PSC meeting this week, but no news.

      AS: People are recovering from New Delhi.

      ACTION: TM to ping the PSC list regarding meeting plans.

   Subcommittee report: TSC

      AS: Made good progress last week preparing the "UBL Basic
      International Trade Scenario" (BITS) for our meeting in
      Singapore.

   Review of Atlantic call

      No comments.

2.0 SCHEDULE UPDATE

   JB: Submission of the UBL 2.0 CS has been accepted for
   Standards processing.  The schedule is:

      Last two weeks of October: OASIS administrative processing
      First two weeks of November: OASIS member "familiarization"
      Last two weeks of November: Balloting by member organizations

   Unless something turns up during administrative processing,
   we're done with the development of UBL 2.0 as such.  This puts
   us at about the halfway point with UBL 2.0 work.

SINGAPORE MEETING

   GKH: Have now bought tickets.

   JB: KSH has sent regrets.

   ACTION: TM to draft time schedule for specific Singapore agenda
   items; JB to put them into the usual meeting agenda template.

The rest of the meeting was spent discussing the status and timing
of the UBL 2.0 Support Package and Standalone Documents, as
detailed in the following.

UBL 2.0 SUPPORTING MATERIALS: 1. STANDALONE DOCUMENTS

   Code List Value Validation Methodology (CLVVM)

      We have CLVVM 0.7 Draft 1.  GKH will prepare Draft 2 of
      CLVVM 0.7 for discussion in Singapore and then create CLVVM
      1.0 after the meeting.

   UBL Customization Methodology

      This consists of two pieces: a general guide on developing a
      customization (owner: TM) and then the tools for
      implementing it (owner: GKH); call this latter piece
      "customization verification".

      TM will plan a work session on customization in Singapore
      and prepare a "50 thousand foot" view for discussion.  We
      did not further discuss the timing of c11n v10n.

   UBL 2.0 Small Business Subset (SBS)

      We have a preliminary draft but don't know whether Stephen
      Green intends to continue as co-chair of the SBSC.

      ACTION: JB to check with SG regarding his plans for
      participation.

      Some of the draft SBS instances are being used in creation
      of the BITS.  It's possible that we can create something
      like the SBS by working backwards from BITS.  Due to the
      inclusion of international transport documents, this
      wouldn't be a "small business" subset but rather something
      like a "sample customization."  To be further discussed in
      Singapore.

   UBL 2.0 International Data Dictionary (IDD)

      Work begins at the meeting in Singapore.  [We didn't discuss
      this in the call, but: ACTION: JB to propose the template
      for UBL 2.0 spreadsheet translations.]

UBL 2.0 SUPPORTING MATERIALS: 2. THE SUPPORT PACKAGE

   Code List support

      GKH will recreate UBL 2.0 support files after publication of
      the CVVM; can deliver in January.

   Sample Implementation Guide from Denmark

      From "Minutes of UBL TC meeting 17 August 2006 (1)":

         PB: We will deliver a package containing sample
         documents, scenario descriptions, schematron and XSL
         transformations, and XForms when we give our presentation
         at the November TC meeting in Singapore.

         AGREED that these materials should go into the Support
         Package as "Sample Implementation Guide from Denmark."

      Note that scheduling of the Support Package is based on this
      deliverable.

      ACTION: JB to check with PB and MHB regarding status.

   UBL Basic International Trade Scenario (BITS)

      A basic framework will be produced in Singapore, developed
      further in December, and delivered for publication in
      January.

   Output stylesheets

      Note that "stylesheets" in the following includes both the
      implementation-independent mapping of data items in a
      particular schema and the actual instantiation of that
      mapping in a stylesheet that will produce output according
      to the UN Layout Key or its closest equivalent.

      The basic problem here is the business mapping from UBL to
      printed documents; unlike the UBL 1.0 set, many UBL 2.0
      message types have no standard printed representations.  It
      appears that our best strategy is to concentrate on the ones
      that do.

      AGREED that for the first edition of the SP (targeting
      delivery in January) we will update the existing stylesheets
      for the eight documents in the original UBL 1.0 set, create
      a stylesheet for Freight Invoice by adapting the stylesheet
      for Invoice, and develop new output stylesheets for Waybill,
      Certificate of Origin, Forwarding Instructions, and
      Transportation Status.  Business experts at CrimsonLogic
      will be invited to help with work on the transport
      documents.

   UBL Model Letter of Agreement

      JB to finish up for delivery in January.

   EF and EA data models

      TM will generate the EA data model (same as the one from
      which the UBL 2.0 uml directory was generated).  We assume
      that SW will send the EF model from which the UBL 2.0
      schemas were generated.

ACTION ITEM REVIEW

   ACTION: JB to check with BAH for use statement.

      Done.

   ACTION: JB to check with OASIS regarding UBL 2.0 CS
   announcements.

      Done.

   ACTION: TM to inform UN/CEFACT on approval of UBL 2.0 as an
   OASIS Committee Specification.

      Pending.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC