ubl message

Subject: Revival of the SBSC work, and a proposed home for the UBL customization work

Hello all,

In preparation for this week's revival of the
work of SBSC (Small Business Subcommittee), I
wanted to remind members there is a separate mail
list and subcommittee home page for this
work.  Not all (nor even many) of the messages
will be copied to the UBL TC ... I don't like
cross posting and will only judge very important
cross-committee questions and issues doing so, or
just post solely to the TC list (I'll assume
everyone on the SC list is a member of the TC list).

And joining the subcommittee mail list doesn't
oblige you to subcommittee voting membership
rules ... it is just a way to hear about what we
are up to.  Though I do expect you to contribute
any comments you wish to the SBSC discussions
whether you are a voting member or not.

As part of the discussion at the plenary, I'd
like to review the charter of SBSC and propose to
revise it to encompass sample customizations and
customization methodologies.  Can anyone think of
a replacement expansion of the "SB" abbreviation
other than, say "Sample Business Subcommittee"
instead of "Small Business
Subcommittee"?  Actually, perhaps we have to keep
the name as I see it permeates the user interface
for the subcommittee.  We may have to just recast
the charter document and subcommittee description
to say that small business is just one target for customization.

Because we aren't talking just about small
business anymore, and I applaud the Danish
comments about there being many customizations
and we shouldn't favour one over the other.  I
have come around to us promoting a number of
customization approaches and best practices, and
coming up with publicly-available tools, so that
when people tailor UBL to their needs, they remain compatible to UBL.

And by the end of a plenary, we will have a new
SBSC co-chair ... with many thanks to Gruffudd
Williams of Accountis for his upcoming contribution and support.

There isn't yet a home put aside for
customization, and I propose that this be it.  On
the UBL home page we could describe the SBSC as
the subcommittee for customization of UBL for
small business and other deployments ... or some
such, I'm not very good at wordsmithing.  But we
would somehow make it clear that is where to go
when you want to deploy a customization of UBL.

I hope this is acceptable to everyone.  Please
comment soon if you don't think this could be the
home for discussions related to customization.

I'll be making some posts later today (I'm
finally in Singapore, so my day is starting
earlier than usual) or tomorrow to only the SBSC
list, so by joining the subcommittee list you'll
see the work being proposed and some of the
resources being published.  I won't be
duplicating the announcements to the main TC list.

The archive is here:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-sbsc/

The subcommittee home page is here:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl-sbsc

Note the "Join This TC" button on the
subcommittee home page.  As of this morning,
there are only seven people on the list, and I
can think of many people on the 134-member-long
roster for the UBL TC who would want to hear what
is going on for customization, including the
resource announcements that I'll be making this
weekend, and you aren't on the list.

Here is the list as it stands to see if you are
already one of the few, or to confirm that you
have changed your membership to be included:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/membership.php?wg_abbrev=ubl-sbsc

Observers and OASIS staff contacts are not listed
(but I believe observers do get a copy of all
emails).  You do not have to be a voting member
of the TC to be a voting member of the
subcommittee.  The subcommittee will be taking
its work to the TC for the TC to deal with, but
by having the work in the subcommittee we won't
be distracting the TC with the low-level details we are hashing out.

Thanks!

--
UBL/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Allerød/Vårø Denmark 2006-11-13,17,20/24
UBL International 2006  2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com