ubl message

Subject: UBL Methodology for Code List and Value Validation - version 0.8 draft 1

Fellow UBL TC members,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of the latest version of the
code list and value validation methodology document:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=21324

Based on comments received during the Singapore face-to-face and
later correspondence, this methodology has been practically
rewritten, including new schemas and stylesheets, and supporting new
features.  The documentation has been restructured, new sections
added, other sections rewritten, and new diagrams added.

I'm proud to report that there already are projects other than UBL
that are implementing this draft methodology and this real-world
feedback has been invaluable in determining new features and changes
to old functionality.  These changes in 0.8 were not made in the
absence of real requirements.  It is a luxury when working on a
specification to have someone actually using draft versions.

Each of the following are comments that have been received and are
listed below with their respective disposition:

(1) Methodology works for documents other than UBL
  - changed the title of the methodology

(2) Methodology works for information items other than codes
  - the methodology refers now to "values" and "value lists" instead
of "codes" and "code lists", so as to be inclusive of lists of values
for identifiers
  - example expanded to include a list of identifiers

(3) Need to support embedded documentation in the context association file
  - added support for embedded constructs in foreign namespaces to be
used for documentation
  - split human-readable identification into three parts:
    - title
    - identification string for tracking purposes in intermediate files
    - description

(4) Need to masquerade external meta data in order to support
restriction of a published code list
  - a subset code list necessarily has different list meta data than
the list from which it is derived
  - validation may be required against the complete list, though
trading partners are using only a subset
  - the declaration of an external code list provides for specifying
overriding meta data so that validation sees the masquerade of the
full code list and not the actual meta data of the restricted code list

(5) Need to better explain extending a published code list with
additional values
  - an example is added illustrating extending the UBL payment means
code list with an additional code agreed upon between trading partners

(6) Need to add an overview diagram
  - two overview diagrams added

(7) Differing specification of similar contexts is confusing to the
reader (showing two ways of doing the same thing confuses the reader
as to which way should be done)
  - changed the two similar constraints to be expressed in the same fashion
  - added a new constraint that requires the differing specification of context

(8) Need to add definitions and key concepts
  - some have been added but I would like input as to which other
terms and concepts should be included to improve on the document

(9) Need to improve error messages to find the information item in error
  - a validation error now reports the fully-qualified XPath address
to the information item that triggers the error

Because of the schema changes, version 0.7 instances are no longer
compatible and the new document model is now at version 0.8 with the
documentation as draft 1.

If anyone present in Singapore sees that something is missing please
let me know.  If anyone else has comments or suggestions, please let me know.

Note that even with all of these changes behind the scenes, applying
the revised processes to the published genericode files of UBL 2.0
produces the identical defaultCodeList.xsl file that is also
published as part of UBL 2.0.

Due to the crazy workload triggered by the Singapore meeting and the
success of the UBL International 2006 conference, this work has been
rushed and it needs to be vetted and exercised in order to exorcise
any introduced faults.  There have been a number of
changes.  Thankfully, there is some time for testing as we await the
standardization of genericode, as it was agreed to await taking this
specification to version 1.0 until genericode is at version 1.0.

I eagerly look forward to any feedback and comments.  I'm really
quite pleased with the latest improvements, especially after I
thought the work was complete.  Thanks again to those who have
commented on their needs, especially Juerg, Tim and Tony.

Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc