ubl message

Subject: Experimental UBL customization schema pruning environment

Fellow UBL TC members,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of an experimental UBL
customization specification environment with which communities of
users can create W3C Schema expressions conforming to a customization
subset of the UBL standard.  This environment supports the
simultaneous specification of multiple customizations of each
document type as may be necessary to support multiple profiles in
which the document types are used.

This environment is not a management tool for the determination of
what belongs in or out of a given customization, only the
specification of such for the purposes of producing W3C Schemas for
subsets of standardized UBL constructs.  A subset schema is produced
by a pruning process in which the original published UBL W3C Schema
expressions are modified by commenting out the constructs that are
not needed by a given customization.

This environment is not a management or specification tool for
extensions that belong underneath the extension point for a given
customization.  However, the demonstrative example included in the
environment includes a defined extension of fictitious constructs to
illustrate to a community of users how extensions are specified and
included.  The test instances include sample use of these extension elements.

In the interest of sharing this with some candidate users who need it
right away, this experimental environment appears to be working with
my limited tests and now needs to be tested by others.  I'm hoping
that people who download and use this environment can take the time
to feed back to me any error reports and feature suggestions they may
have.  Check for updates periodically as I won't be making multiple
announcements to the mail lists of revised versions of this
experimental system.

Again, this environment is not one that is meant to replace any
commercial-grade information management application that organizes
and presents the different customizations for the purposes of
analysis and determination.  If you are experimenting with a
customization and you need an easy specification of the formal
document models in order to do validation against a customization,
then you will probably find this very helpful.

Finally, I want to thank the Danish Government for releasing under
the Creative Commons Attribution License some of the work I did for
them under contract.  This work germinated the processes with which I
could fulfill my idea of pruning existing schemas rather than
building up new schemas.

To download a copy of this freely-available environment, please visit
the "Free resources" section of our web site linked in our trailer
below.  The first section of the resources page is a link to the UBL
and code list resources.  On that page under "Schema resources" is
the "Simplified UBL schema customization" environment.  I'm not
including the actual URL in this post in case the URL has to change
which would make the archives out of date.

I hope this is considered interesting and useful.  I look forward to
any feedback.

Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc