ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] ubl pricelist validation ?

At 2007-02-02 11:19 +1100, David Lyon wrote:
>Currently, we have a significant number of Excel spreadsheets
>containing product information from various companies from countries
>making and selling computer equipment in Asia. Typically, it's
>HongKong, Taiwan, Korea and China.
>
>We are able to convert these spreadsheets into xml fairly easily and
>we would now like to produce an output module than can produce UBL2
>price files.
>
>My question is can anybody help us with validating our documents
>against the UBL specification to ensure that they comply?

To see how UBL documents are validated using the two-phase mechanism
documented in:

   http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/UBL-2.0.html

... read through section E.3 and then using a copy of the the
distribution go into your copy of the val/ directory:

   http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/val/

... and run "test.bat" or "sh test.sh" to see how an instance of UBL
Order is validated with the two-phase validation.  There is a shell
script named "validate.bat" or "validate.sh" that runs the two-phase
validation for a single file for a given document model.  This is
illustrated in section E.2.

The test scenario validates three files:  one that is valid, another
that is not structurally valid, and a third that is structurally
valid but has value validation errors.

The whole section E is written to guide people like you in
understanding how to ensure your instances conform to the UBL
structure and value constraints.

>We would like to produce a sample run of about 20 or 30 files and
>have them validated. We're not UBL experts, we only have lots of data.

We are hoping that the val/ directory illustrates to people who are
not UBL experts how to validate instances that they create.

I invite you to try and use that directory with the your test UBL
files that you create from your spreadsheets, and would you please
feed back your experiences (pro or con) so that we can assess what we
might wish to include in the support file?

Thanks for your input, and good luck in your work with UBL!

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/bc