ubl message

Subject: Possible issues for 2.1 issue list regarding code lists

Hi folks, and happy new year!

I've been working on my UBL training material and I found something
asymmetric that led to something that might need addressing in UBL 2.1.

I note there is an entry in the qualified data types model and XSD
fragment for both the UN/CEFACT supplementary component defined lists
for currency codes and the unit of measure codes, but there is no
such entry for the binary object MIME codes.  That led me to find
where we use MIME codes.

Looking through the UBL entities Attachment and ExternalReference I
do not see where one would specify the MIME type for a given
attachment.  This is probably why we don't need a qualified data type.

Does this mean we need issues filed for 2.1 to:

   1) - add an optional BBIE of a coded item for the MIME type of an
attachment
        or external reference

   2) - add a qualified data type for the MIME type code list to support this

I'm also questioning our need in 2.1 for qualified data types for
code lists since the 2.0 qDT module spreadsheet specifies actual
lists by their identifier, yet we are talking about totally
decoupling code lists from UBL for conformance specification.

Our users will determine which set of code lists to conform to while
conforming their structures to UBL 2.1, so I don't think we need to
qualify anything about code lists in our 2.1 data types.

I believe removing the qualified data types from 2.1 would still
allow 2.0 instances to conform.  This would also remove item (2) above.

Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO, UBL and code list hands-on training classes:
:  Sydney, AU 2009-01/02; Brussels, BE 2009-03; Prague, CZ 2009-03