ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Public Review of UBL Guidelines for Customization Version 1.0

At 2008-09-30 13:29 -0400, Mary McRae wrote:
>The OASIS Universal Business Language TC has recently approved the following
>specification as a Committee Draft and approved the package for public
>review:
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/guidelines/UBL-Customization1.0prd01.pdf

I've been thinking there might be a place in the customization
guidelines document for my customization schema diagrams.  These were
polished up after the Perth meeting in time for my training delivery
in Sydney, and I have WMF and EPS vector versions of them available
and I give the committee permission to use them:

   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/sales/Crane-UBLProfile/#custschm
   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/sales/Crane-UBLProfile/#schemasx
   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/sales/Crane-UBLProfile/#schemasy

The first one shows, in general, how subset schema fragments shown on
the left replace the corresponding document schema, the aggregates
schema and the basics schema.  This creates a customization suite of
schema fragments representing instances with only those constructs
allowed by the customization and not simply all elements allowed by UBL.

On the right the role of the included Extension Content Datatype
module is depicted as that fragment that is replaced with the
customization's specification of the UBL extension point.  This
prevents the need to touch the module expressing the standardized
extension meta data in Common Extension Components.

Which leads to a candidate organization of schema fragments shown in
the second diagram.  In class I successfully deployed a hand-written
extension schema set of four fragments:

  - the redefinition of the UBL Extension point (in the UBL extension
namespace)
  - the specification of the apex element of the extension (in
another namespace)
  - the specification of extension ABIE constructs (in yet another namespace)
  - the specification of extension BBIE constructs (in yet again
another namespace)

This parallel structure to UBL adheres to NDR concepts.  Should the
UBL TC be interested in adopting the BIE constructs described, the
aggregates and the basics are already appropriately parceled and
ready for the picking.  The definition of the extension apex is
analogous to the document schema and candidate document-top-level
BBIE and ASBIE constructs can be referenced there.

Which leads, in turn, to the third diagram.  This same structure
would be suitable to package the non-UBL ABIE and BBIE constructs in
a non-UBL document that is exploiting the UBL common library.  In
this case the extension apex would still be a home for extensions to
the common library that are not referenced from the new document
schema.  I doubt there would be any BBIE constructs referenced from
the extension apex as document-top-level constructs would be in the
document schema.  But that document schema would only include
document-top-level constructs and not any extensions to some
lower-level common library business object.

I'm thinking the first diagram would be in section 3.1.3 after line
541 in the PDF cited above.

The second diagram would be in 3.1.4 before line 580.

The third diagram could be a new section 3.5, moving the existing 3.5
to 3.6 ... but we hadn't yet discussed if or where in this document
the specification of a customization of a non-UBL document using the
UBL common library would go.

If we could hold off the next PRD until after we have a chance to
discuss this on Monday, I think the content will be improved with the diagrams.

Jon, did you want to write your own prose for these diagrams, as you
did for other diagrams, to validate you've understood what I've tried to say?

--
Upcoming hands-on XSLT, UBL & code list hands-on training classes:
Brussels, BE 2009-03;  Prague, CZ 2009-03, http://www.xmlprague.cz