ubl message

Subject: Proposed rules for the conduct of UBL regional subcommittees

Hello UBL TC,

As you all know, there are a number of UBL Localization
Subcommittees (see the list on the TC web site) charged with
creating translations of the UBL data dictionary and other
documents into specific languages.  These subcommittees are run
under standing rules that we adopted some time ago:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200604/msg00061.html

We're finally just about ready to set up our first regional
subcommittee.  This one, tentatively labeled the LATAMLSC, would
address the business requirements of the Latin American countries.

In discussing a charter for the group, however, it's become clear
that the framework we've been using for the LSCs won't work very
well in this case.  For one thing, it won't be operating in just a
single language.  Also, it won't be primarily concerned with
creating translations, though it will have important things to say
about aspects of the translations as they relate to specific
locales.  Thus, for example, we will want the Latin American
subcommittee to review the Spanish translation created by the
ESLSC, but we will want the ESLSC to continue to function as the
single entry point for any changes or notes to be added to the
Spanish translation.  The same would apply to the PTLSC if we ever
get one going for Portuguese.

These considerations lead me to think that we need a separate kind
of subcommittee -- a regional subcommittee (RSC).

Below I've appended the draft of some rules that could apply to
RSCs.  As you will see, these strongly parallel the existing rules
for LSCs linked above, which were developed with input from OASIS
management.

Please review and tell me what you think.

Jon

DRAFT PROPOSED RULES FOR UBL REGIONAL LOCALIZATION SUBCOMMITTEES

1. Each UBL regional localization subcommittee shall operate in
    the languages used in the target region and shall meet on a
    schedule optimized for members living in the target region.

2. UBL regional localization subcommittees shall report in English
    at every face-to-face UBL TC meeting and also by email to the
    UBL TC as required to keep the TC informed of substantive
    developments.

3. The essential tasks of a UBL regional localization subcommittee
    shall be as follows:

    a. To propose extensions to UBL to accommodate regional legal
       and business practices.

    b. To review translations of UBL specifications, documentation,
       data terms, and data definitions into the languages used in
       the target region and to convey regional input to the
       language-specific localization subcommittees responsible for
       those translations.

    c. To assist the UBL Human Interface Subcommittee in the
       creation of region-specific input and output formatting
       specifications.

4. UBL regional localization subcommittees shall additionally be
    authorized (but not required) to perform the following
    functions:

    a. Build and maintain a UBL web site focused on the target
       region within the oasis-open.org domain.

    b. Publicize UBL in the target region while coordinating with
       OASIS communications staff as appropriate.

    c. Hold UBL workshops and other UBL-related activities in the
       target region.

    d. Conduct studies of actual and potential UBL use in the
       target region for input to the UBL TC.

5. In all respects not covered by these special rules, regional
    localization subcommittees shall be bound by the standing rules
    for UBL technical committees and all relevant OASIS policies
    (for example, TC Process, IPR Policy, and Media Relations
    Policy).