ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] UBL-SGTG-20120208-0050z UBL 2.1 Public Review Draft 3 Draft 2

At 2012-02-08 07:42 -0500, I wrote:
Would someone in Europe please tell me what date and time stamp is being seen on the files found when they open the ZIP I've posted? And then when they've unzipped what is zipped? I have evidence that the time zone may be being ignored by WinZIP (either creating the zip or extracting the files). I created many of the distribution files when it was 2012-02-07 here and 2012-02-08 in UTC. I correctly entered the local time to reflect the UTC time stamp. But ... when the files are unzipped ... is the date on the files 2012-02-08 (in which case the time zone is respected) or 2012-02-07 (in which case the time zone is ignored)? If ignored, then I will have to create these particular artefacts when it is still the correct day UTC (i.e. before 19:00 local time).

Thanks to Oriol for sharing with me that, indeed, there is a problem with the time stamp. When extracting files on his machine, they reflect my local time at the time I created the files, not the UTC time at the time I created them.

Why I'm using local time is that having the UTC time show up as local time puts all of the files 5 hours ahead of my clock when I unzip them. This messes up my build dependencies based on relative time stamps. My file system assigns my local time zone to the UTC time value found in the file.

I will review my build processes and see if I can safely set the time stamp to the specified UTC time and not the UTC time relative to my local time.

Jon, if you rely on time stamps in the final UBL build, this might be an issue.

. . . . . . . . . . Ken

p.s. some references I've found this morning after Oriol told me of the problem:

  http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/262
  "the use of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) helps when sharing
   Zip files outside of your local time zone"
  (which I disagree with since it hides the time zone problem)

  http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/winzip-time-warp-problem-t426623.html

  http://www.javamex.com/tutorials/compression/zip_problems.shtml
  - there's no way to say "relative to which time zone"

Free 5-hour video lecture: XSLT/XPath 1.0 & 2.0 http://ude.my/uoui9h
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com