ubl message

Subject: RE: [ubl] Re: Draft new Additional Document Constraints

Thank you Ken for describing the conundrum so well.

I agree that finding the definitive list of detailed property term primary
nouns is probably not realistic, or is likely to lead to a volatile list
creating unwelcome versioning overheads.

Perhaps the answer lies in less detailed property term primary nouns to
single out different sub-kinds of Text. Type.

For example, udt:NameType is a specific kind of ccts-cct:TextType, and
different from udt:TextType.
Yet it is the vocabulary designers responsibility to choose the correct
property term primary noun at design time.

That concept of sub-kinds of Text could perhaps be expanded, by adding for
example ProseText. Type and DataText. Type (I'm sure better names can be
identified -  maybe ListItemText. Type ???).

In MXV (UML Model-driven XML Vocabulary design using UBL NDR 2.1), we have
defined similar sub-kinds of Text, but because we did not want to modify the
UBL-UDT schema, we created them as qdt: types.
For example, we have the standard udt:TextType and udt:NameType, and
additionally a custom qdt:NoteTextType, qdt:EmailAddressTextType, etc..,
which are based on udt:TextType.

Keeping that list of qdt: types as short as possible is as important to us
as choosing the right property term primary noun at design time.

The [IND..] rules could then name the sub-kinds of Text. Type to which the
rule applies, or not applies as the case may be.

IMO, the [IND] rules a worthwhile to keep in, even when they are not
programmatically enforceable. By creating a DataText. Type or ListItemText.
Type, they would in fact become enforceable.

A similar approach might be useful for UBL also?

    Juerg Tschumperlin, Data Management Solutions, Wellington, New Zealand
    www.d-m-s.co.nz

Of