ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 5 March 2014 15:00UTC

MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC TELECONFERENCE WEDNESDAY 5 March 2014 15:00UTC

ATTENDANCE

Atlantic teleconference:
   Oriol Bausa
   Kenneth Bengtsson
   Kees Duvekot
   G. Ken Holman (convener)
   Ole Madsen
   Andy Schoka

Pacific teleconference attendance:

  G. Ken Holman (convener)
  Tim McGrath

STANDING ITEMS

  Additions to events calendar:
    - none

  Review of Pacific call minutes
    https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201403/msg00003.html

  Review of Atlantic call minutes
    https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201402/msg00024.html

  Membership status review
     https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#membership
     https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/membership.php?wg_abbrev=ubl
     https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/members/roster.php?num_items=80

    - voting status is determined by the following:
      - existing voting members must not miss two consecutive meetings to
        maintain voting status
      - non-voting members must attend two consecutive meetings to obtain
        voting status
    - current voting member list (alphabetical):
      - Oriol Bausa
      - Kenneth Bengtsson
      - Jon Bosak (secretary)
      - Kees Duvekot
      - G. Ken Holman (co-chair)
      - Ole Madsen
      - Tim McGrath (co-chair)
      - Andy Schoka (TSC chair)
    - what can we do to recruit more volunteers to the TC to share
      in the work?

UBL 2.1 Status

 - comments to explanatory note on UBL 2.1 to ISO/IEC JTC 1 sent to OASIS
   by Tim for their consideration
   - Jamie to send final copy to UBL TC when sent to JTC 1

New documents for outsourcing warehousing

 - raised by Kees
 - https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201402/msg00005.html
- formal work has to be done in the TC due to IPR issues of participating members - it could be that we can re-use existing documents, so the committee needs to decide what is needed for the communication - it was raised that perhaps the TC should be only focused on syntax and not on guidelines of use, given that in the past when we have tried to do create guidelines (such as the calculation models and the small business subset), it has never come to fruition - the only guideline document we have completed so far, Customization Guidelines, is also focused on syntax and techniques, not business - CEN BII fits well in the role of establishing guidelines, but there could be other organizations that would satisfy this role - if the committee goes into too much business detail, then is there a risk that groups will not consider their own business requirements while thinking that the committee-documented approach is the only approach
   - it was noted this has not been true with the swim-lane diagrams
   - the wording could be couched to try and keep users' minds open
 - some questions were raised regarding the Despatch Advice document
   - is Despatch Advice intended for one-to-one or one-to-many communication?
- in PEPPOL this document is one-to-one, if there are more complex scenarios they would have to be documented separately - in the transportation sector there may be more documents regarding end-to-end status - Kees to continue this discussion on the TC list to see what conclusions arise and then we can decide how much stays in the committee and how much is contributed to other organizations for their consideration - Tim suggested that we consider using http://ubl.xml.org as the forum in which to develop the deployment guideline as it is arm's length from the TC - question for OASIS legal: reviewing http://www.xml.org/terms-of-use we are unsure if the TC can pick up any idea posted to the forums and use it in a future version of UBL, please clarify what latitude we have in doing so - Kees has reviewed the existing swim-lane flows and can use these as a point to start some discussions

JIRA tracking

 - Ole brought the committee's attention to Chet's post regarding JIRA:

   https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/201403/msg00000.html

- when new issues come up for UBL 2.2, he suggested we use JIRA so as not to lose track of the items and to help in summarizing the items at the end
 - UBL TC members agreed this would be acceptable

UBL TC next steps

  - what promotional issues need to be addressed?
  - UBL 2 is an organic thing that can be grown

  - what do we do for implementation support?
  - should we write a companion document of how to use the specification?
  - industry-specific documentation?
  - make it easier to find what is relevant without changing the actual
    specification

  - what about updating the International Data Dictionary?
    - who can we find to help with this?

  - how about another UBL International conference in order to
    promote the release of UBL 2.1?  Can anyone host this conference?
      http://ublconference.com or http://ublconference.org
      - perhaps an event in North America and in Europe in 2014
        - Washington DC, Burlington MA (OASIS)?
        - http://www.exchange-summit.com/ - Barcelona - October 2014
        - BII - Paris in June?  Frankfurt in September?
        - Beijing June 2014 (JTC 1 SC32)?

  - how about a Twitter feed of UBL adoption and announcements?

  - what subject matter issues need to be addressed?
    - more transportation co-ordination issues
    - communications with transportation regulatory organizations

  - what technical issues need to be addressed?
    - are any schema changes needed?
    - at the least we need to publish the NDR as soon as possible

  - what educational materials need to be made available?
    - how about YouTube videos regarding access to the UBL package?

TC CONCALL SCHEDULE

 We are coming up to daylight savings time again, so please watch the
 timings of calls in North America.  I'm trying to keep the timings of
 calls in Europe unchanged, since most members are from Europe, so the
 time of the Atlantic calls in North America changes for three weeks.

 The Pacific call takes place Tuesday evenings west of the Atlantic
 Ocean.  The time of the Pacific calls in North America is unchanged.

 Next meetings:

   2014-03-12 Pacific 00:00UTC/20:00EDT, Atlantic 15:00UTC/16:00CET/11:00EDT
   2014-03-19 Pacific 00:00UTC/20:00EDT, Atlantic 15:00UTC/16:00CET/11:00EDT
   2014-03-26 Pacific 00:00UTC/20:00EDT, Atlantic 15:00UTC/16:00CET/11:00EDT

 Proposed (in Central European Summer Time):

   2014-04-02 Pacific 00:00UTC/20:00EDT, Atlantic 14:00UTC/16:00CEST/10:00EDT
   2014-04-09 Pacific 00:00UTC/20:00EDT, Atlantic 14:00UTC/16:00CEST/10:00EDT

 Will anyone be requesting a leave of absence in the near future?  For
 privacy reasons, this discussion will be kept off of the minutes.

 TC calendar:
 http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/calendar.php?wg_abbrev=ubl

 TC calendar iCal subscription link:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup_feeds/ical/my_vcalendar.ics?token=fa658a7994a6cefb10c10be09e139af3&workgroup_id=50

OTHER BUSINESS

    - none

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL & code list classes: Melbourne, AU May 2014 |
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |

---