ubl message

Subject: Update on your two open TC-ADMIN support request tickets

Members of the UBL TC,

This message is in regard to your two open TC Admin JIRA tickets: Template / starter document request for UBL Naming and Design Rules Version 3.0 (https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/TCADMIN-2319) and Publish Business Document Naming and Design Rules Version 1.0 CS01 (https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/TCADMIN-2322).

What the TC is endeavoring to do, from the perspective of the OASIS TC Process, is to create two new work products from the original one contained in /UBL-NDR/. In addition, you are asking that the new Committee Note be kept in the work product directory /UBL-NDR/. In effect, you are asking to change the standards track work product into a non-standards track work product so that you can maintain predictable URLs and have some final publication to that chain of works.

I am not keen on changing documents between tracks, in particular going from CS to CN. It is such a fundamental change of purpose that it really ought to be a new work product. However, given that the content was part of the prior committee spec draft and given the TC's desire to have a final publication appear at http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/UBL-NDR/v3.0/UBL-NDR-v3.0.html, and given that the TC will put the committee note draft through a public review, I am willing to allow /UBL-NDR/ to switch from being a committee spec to committee note.

The new Business Document Naming and Design Rules Version 1.0 however is a new work product. I didn't realize that at the time of your approval ballot. I thought the TC was simply approving the existing work product contained in /UBL-NDR/ with a different title.

The fact that it is a new TC work product means that it will have to go through the usual stages as required by the TC Process in https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#standApprovProcess where the section reads "Each of the progressions above must begin with step 1, and no step may be skipped."

Here then is how we can move forward:

- For TCADMIN-2319, I will send Ken the URLs and other metadata to incorporate into the Committee Note Draft so that he can prepare the draft and public review draft copies. The TC will need to approve the drafts and release them for public review following normal practice.

- I am declaring that the Special Majority Vote held at https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ballot.php?id=2914 was invalid and is rescinded. I will add a note to the ballot explaining this and I will then close TCADMIN-2322.

- The TC can then request a new template for the work, produce and approve a Committee Specification Draft and proceed as normal with a public review. Once completed, the TC can then vote to approve it as a CS.

My apologies for not catching this sooner and for heaping what probably looks like mere bureaucracy on you. Part of my job is to ensure that the rules are applied equally and uniformly in order to be able to assure outside parties that your work was done by the book.

Best,

/chet
Chet Ensign
http://www.oasis-open.org