ubl message

Subject: Revised JIRA status guidelines

At our last meeting it was revealed that we have an ambiguity in JIRA status indications between when an issue is deferred because it is for a future major revision and when an issue is deferred because it is for a future minor revision.

Looking at the choices available I have added "RESOLVED + Later" in the list that is copied in the agendas and minutes:

     - NEW - the issue has been created but not yet agreed to be in
             consideration or not for the development distribution
           - in order for the issue to become active work for the committee
             the new ticket must be changed to OPEN or it will not be seen
             in the "to do" filter
           - the other option on a new ticket is to change it to DEFERRED
           - please remember to look at the open filter to ensure visibility:
             https://issues.oasis-open.org/issues/?filter=12972
     - OPEN - the issue is in consideration for the development distribution
            - keep the issue OPEN when assigning to Ken for incorporation
            - please remember to add a comment regarding expectations whenever
              you assign an OPEN ticket to another person for any action
     - RESOLVED + Applied - the issue is incorporated in test but not released
- RESOLVED + Fixed - the issue is incorporated in a released test version;
                          (record which one)
     - RESOLVED + Later - the issue is still up for discussion for a future
                          minor revision but not the current development
     - RESOLVED + No Action - considered as no action for any distribution
     - RESOLVED + Cannot Reproduce - considered as no action for distribution
     - APPLIED - the issue is included in a public review (record which one)
- DEFERRED - the issue is not in consideration for any minor revision - please remember to use this when creating new tickets for
                  backwards-incompatible changes

So, this gives me the opportunity at the end of a given release to simply re-open all of those tickets marked "RESOLVED + Later" for the next minor release.

The process can be summarized as follows:

All tickets that are "OPEN" are tickets that have been put forward to the TC but the TC hasn't yet resolved what to do with them. Three things can happen: (1) When the TC agrees to add a ticket to the master for a public review, the status changes to "RESOLVED + Applied" when incorporated but not released to the committee for test, then "RESOLVED + Fixed" when released to the committee for test, then "APPLIED" when released to the public for review; (2) When the TC agrees the ticket is interesting for a future major revision but will not (or cannot) be considered for a future minor revision, the state changes to "DEFERRED"; and (3) When the TC agrees not to add a ticket to UBL 2.2, the status changes to "RESOLVED" and the resolution is set to an indication of the reason for the disposition: "RESOLVED + Later" for issues to be considered in a future minor revision, "RESOLVED + No Action" for issues that will not be considered for any future minor or major revision (possibly because it was mistakenly created), and "RESOLVED + Cannot Reproduce" for issues that cannot proceed because the issue cannot be reproduced.

That gives us the "to do" list for incorporation into the next public review: all tickets with the status of "RESOLVED + Fixed".

If problems are found with the issue during that incorporation, the status changes from "RESOLVED" back to "OPEN".

When an issue has been incorporated into the masters for a public review distribution, I'll change the status from "RESOLVED + Fixed" to "APPLIED".

If during the public review we find a problem, I'll change the status from "APPLIED" to "OPEN" for the issue to be reexamined.

By the end of the last public review all tickets should be at "APPLIED" status, and the resolution column tells us our disposition of each one.

When UBL 2.2 is released I'll change the status from "APPLIED" to "CLOSED". I will also change the status of all "RESOLVED + Later" to "OPEN" for UBL 2.3 consideration.

If you disagree with this, please recommend an alternative approach.

Please review those tickets marked "DEFERRED" or "RESOLVED + No Action" to see if any of them should be changed to "RESOLVED + Later".

Thanks!

--
Contact info, blog, articles, etc. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/ |
Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training class @ US$45 (5 hours free) |