ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] [OASIS Issue Tracker] (UBL-168) Definitions and cardinality in DocumentReference ABIE

At 2018-02-05 14:27 -0500, you wrote:
Sorry to jump in here after not following the discussion, but I
find this list somewhat startling.

No apology necessary! The input is welcome at any time and we, as a committee, need to be challenged to defend our decisions in situations such as these. Thank you for speaking up!

One of the big achievements of
2.1 was the provision of meaningful definitions rather than
mindless repetitions of the name using slightly different
words.

Indeed. But we examined the semantic description of these particular elements after it was determined by users (actually, me in an implementation role) to be ambiguous and misleading.

We agree one cannot go arbitrarily changing the semantics, but when a semantic description is inaccurate or can be clarified for the users, we are proposing its change.

When you go from

678 CopyIndicator An indicator that the referenced document is a
copy (true) or the original (false).

678 CopyIndicator The copy indicator of the referenced document.

you're not saying much more than "the CopyIndicator is the copy
indicator."

In the discussion it was felt the original "an indicator" opened up the possibility of the user creating something new rather than transcribing into the field the actual indicator value obtained from the document being referenced. So by using "the" instead of "an", hopefully this conveys that there exists an indicator already and a new one cannot be determined.

Hopefully each document that is referenced has the same semantic meaning for the copy indicator, but it isn't the place for the document reference to redefine what the meaning is of the copy indicator that is being extracted from the referenced document.

It was felt, then, that this new wording conveys the original semantic of "a transcription into the document reference of an element value from the referenced document". And so also for the first five elements in the list, this wording has been used.

The only other definition refined is for XPath because the original is inaccurate. The XPath value is an address (slightly different than an arbitrary reference) and the use of the word "another" has no bearing on any kind of "other" in the first place. It was thought the word "specific" would be better than "another".

Not all of the rows listed have had their definitions replaced ... they were included in the ticket so that the reader need not have to go to the model to compare the new wording with what is there.

What's the point of losing the semantic content we worked so hard
to put in? If the idea is to comprehend instances that don't fit
into the original definition, then you'll have to invent a new
data item with those new semantics; you can't go monkeying with
the definition that's already out there. And if you're going to do
that, why rob the original of its specific meaning?

Very few definitions have been touched in this go-around. These particular definitions were addressed based on my trying to use the ABIE in a real-world application where I am transcribing the document information. I challenged the others on the committee regarding the ambiguous definitions as I read them.

Note that there are still documentation shortcomings in the model. For example, for the ABIEs:

  DeliveryChannel     A class to describe a delivery channel.
  DeliveryUnit        A class to describe a delivery unit.

I am negotiating with a college for a student seniors' project to examine the 350 ABIE definitions and propose back to the UBL public comment list candidate definitions to help the user understand what, say, a delivery channel actually is. I will be giving the student project team the parameters of what we would find useful in a submission and their professors will assess them on their completion of a submission to the public comment list. They won't be assessed on whether or not we decide their proposals are better than what we have. But we then have the flexibility to leverage their efforts if we can improve on the documentation. The curriculum is a business programme and so doing the research into the semantics of each of the ABIEs as defined by their BBIEs and ASBIEs is considered relevant to their studies ... plus they get introduced to international standardization.

Thanks for this input, Jon! I hope I have allayed any concerns. Please do not hesitate to continue to challenge us on this or any other issue. Your committee credentials will get you into the JIRA system where your comments on any of the tickets will be most welcome.

Jon