ubl message

Subject: A comparison of various edited versions of UBL 2.3 and UBL 2.4

Fellow UBL TC members,

Per our call this morning, I am making available the following versions of UBL 2.3 and UBL 2.4 in order to compare edits made by Kenneth in the language of the text in support of the https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/UBL-341 ticket.

The methodology (revealed by Kees, thank you!) involves taking the DocBook XML and converting it to ODT, and then using the compare files feature of ODT in order to create a "track changes" document with all of the differences. Well, not quite all as you will read below, but all of the changes in the body of paragraphs.

The cover pages are not included in the ODT files, so all we are comparing is the body text.

For some unexplained reason, the most recent converted files are not converting the linked text in hypertext, so every internal hyperlink to, say, an image, is marked up as changed. Please ignore these. And the document subheading is different for some reason ... unimportant.

If you need access to the original XML files for some reason, please ask and I can point you to them on GitHub, but for the purposes of review, this ZIP file contains the text that has been changed from UBL 2.3 to UBL 2.4, all in ODT format for OpenOffice or LibreOffice:

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=70653

UBL-2.3-os.odt
 - the text of the OASIS Standard UBL 2.3.xml

UBL-2.4-20221215-1657z.odt
 - Kenneth's edits to the UBL-2.3.xml included in the OS delivery
   for use in UBL 2.4 for review

UBL-2.4-20221226-1903z.odt
 - Ken's edits to the GitHub UBL.xml master document for publishing
   attempting to mimic the edits made by Kenneth for review

UBL-2.4-20221215-1657z-diff-UBL-2.3-os.odt
 - comparing Kenneth's edits to the original UBL 2.3

UBL-2.4-20221226-1903z-diff-UBL-2.3-os.odt
 - comparing Ken's edits to the original UBL 2.3

UBL-2.4-20221226-1903z-diff-UBL-2.4-20221215-1657z.odt
 - comparing Ken's edits to Kenneth's edits to confirm the fidelity
   of the modified master document compared to Kenneth's review edits

Each of those documents is a "track changes" document, and in LibreOffice the menu item "Edit / Track changes / Manage..." will bring up a dialogue box where you can simply arrow down through the list of changes and the focus brings one to where the text has been edited.

Because my changes are from the master XML publishing document, there are more changes in broad-stroke stuff, but not in the wording of the changes made by Kenneth that I've now incorporated into the master XML. Those changes are the only ones that need to be commented on.

Note that the text in section 3.2 is distilled from the spreadsheets into an XML file that is imported into the master XML at publishing time. The party role information also is edited separately in an XML fragment that is imported into the master XML at publishing time. Unfortunately, it appears the ODT comparison simply states both old and new tables are different and marks them entirely changed. There is no way with these renderings to know if Kenneth made any changes in the party role table.

I believe that the UBL.xml (note no version number) in the GitHub pull request https://github.com/oasis-tcs/ubl/pull/11 reflects Kenneth's review edits for the ticket and is ready to be pulled into the ubl-2.4-csd01wd02 branch in preparation of the next set of deliverables. That is Kees's task.

Feedback welcome. Please let me know if you have any questions.

--
Contact info, blog, articles, etc. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/ |
Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training class @US$125 (5 hours free) |