From: "Tom Bellwood" <bellwood@us.ibm.com>
To: "Ales Lipovy" <lipovy@systinet.com>
Cc: <uddi-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>; <uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 7:09 AM
Subject: Re: [uddi-comment] Questions about Subscription API (UDDI v3)

Hi Ales,

Let me try to address your questions.  For item 1), from your diagram &
description it is not preciely clear to me when business A is created and
when it is deleted.   So I'll assume that it is created before T(0), and
deleted sometime between T(n) and T(n+1).   If that's not right, please
correct me.   Anyway, given these assumptions, you won't hear about
business A with your first notification.  You can find out about it though
by using the get_subscriptionResults API and specifying a startPoint
earlier than the last change date for A, or none at all, which defaults you
to the beginning of the registry.  As for when A is deleted, this is a
delete affecting content matching the filter criteria with which you are
subscribed, so you will hear about it in a notification.   The subscription
feature allows you to track activity of interest which occurs after your
subscription is established (unless, of course, you explicitly gather
information from before that time using get_subscriptionResults).  That you
are not aware of business A is not considered a problem.  Use of
subscription data must take this into consideration.

As for item 2), the two examples were never really intended to rigorously
illustrate the same data across the same time span.  They were merely
trying to demonstrate both ways of obtaining subscription results. Your
point is well taken though.  We could clarify this point, but it would be
better to just include the same deletions shown in the first example in
both.

Thanks,
Tom Bellwood       Phone:  (512) 838-9957 (external);   TL:  678/9957
(internal)
OASIS UDDI Technical Committee Co-Chair

Ales Lipovy <lipovy@systinet.com> on 09/04/2002 12:04:27 PM