uddi-comment message

Subject: Re: [uddi-comment] Best practice: locating a web service access

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Sterk" <paul.sterk@Sun.COM>
To: <uddi-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 10:12 PM

> Hi,
>
> Is there a best practice for determining the address location or
> access point of a web service when using UDDI and WSDL?  To elaborate:
> in UDDI, the access point for a web service is contained in:
>
> <bindingTemplate serviceKey="" bindingKey="">
>         <description></description>
>         <accessPoint URLType="http>http://localhost:8080</accessPoint>

> </bindingTemplate>
>
> This information is also located in the WSDL document:
>
> <wsdl:service name="">
>         <soap:address location="http://localhost:8080/>
> </wsdl:service>
>
> So, the question is when the web service proxy client goes to the
> registry to find the updated location, should it check the binding
> template or the WSDL file?  Is there a best practice in this area?

Paul,

If you structured your WSDL as suggested in the current WSDL Best Practice
then you would not be able to get to the "service implementation definition"
WSDL to find the wsdl:service using only the information in the registry.
If you have the "service implementation definition" WSDL via some other
mechanism, or you happen to know that the WSDL file is a single monolithic
file including the wsdl:service, then you have the choice.  I would say you
should use the accessPoint in UDDI rather than the WSDL.

John Colgrave