uddi-comment message

Subject: RE: [uddi-comment] best practices: wsdlSpec tModels and WSDL versions

> > My understanding is that as a single web service interface (port
> > type)  evolves over time (i.e., it has versions v1, v2,
> etc.),  you do
> > *not* create a new wsdlSpec TModel instance for every version.
> [Rest of message deleted]
>
> Paul,
>
> My understanding has always been that a new version of an
> interface would result in a new tModel.

If a server supports multiple versions of an interface it can always
reference multiple tModels in its bindingTemplates. If a client can
support multiple versions it can search for occurences of the tModels.

I did at one point wonder if you could have a tModel for a protocol (say
LDAP) and a tModel for the versions (LDAP v1, v2, v3). In which case a
LDAP v2 server would have both the generic LDAP tModel and the LDAP v2
model. This could in theory allow a client to look for all LDAP servers
and would continue to include all LDAP servers even when an LDAP v4
tModel was produced (which the client could have no prior knowledge of).
However, it is debatable whether this would be useful in practice.

Another mechanism I proposed at the Atlanta meeting of the UDDI AG last
year was extending publisherAssertions to apply to other entities, not
just BusinessEntities - i.e. to a publisherAssertation of tModels which
amongst other uses could group tModels which are different versions of
the same protocol/standard. At the time it was felt that this
functionality was beyond the scope of UDDI, but I'll propose it again as
a potential V4 enhancement in case opinion has changed...

Matthew Dovey
Oxford University