uddi-dev message

Subject: RE: [uddi-dev] Benefits of UDDI

By “the” UDDI registry, may I assume that you are referring to the UDDI Business Registry (UBR) – the so-called Public UDDI Registry? I don’t think Thomas was talking about using the public UBR.

At some point in the future I think the public UBR will play an important role in the public internet as a registry for public services, but that certainly isn’t the place where UDDI has the most value today. Today people should be registering public standards (tModels) in the UBR, but I have seen very few actual services registered in the UBR.

UDDI’s current role is as a private registry within an organization, used for SOA management, governance, and development. Once your efforts with web services passes the prototype and piloting stages, and you have multiple groups within your organization developing web services, the situation becomes too complex for developers to find out about services by word of mouth. You need a standard mechanism to advertise and discover services.

You could implement some type of ad hoc means to register services – I’ve seen companies use a Wiki to do so – but there’s a limit to the scalability of this type of registry. You can also use a proprietary asset library or registry. A number of companies have told me that they want more functionality than UDDI provides, so the proprietary solutions from Blue titan and Infravio look somewhat appealing. But my recommendation is to stick with the standard.

The key advantage to using UDDI is that it is the industry standard, and therefore most tools support it. Most web services development tools provide UDDI browsers, and some also provide UDDI registration wizards. Many of the web services management (WSM) products also integrate with UDDI. UDDI is becoming a key component of the web service provisioning process, and many WSM vendors are using UDDI for SLA management, too. I know of a number of companies that use UDDI as a key component in the SOA governance process. They don’t permit developers to deploy a web service without first registering it in UDDI, and they implement the governance processes through that registration process.

- Anne