uddi-dev message

Subject: RE: [uddi-dev] ebXML registry and UDDI comparisons

An awful lot of functionality that gets shipped is never used. That is the software business – like you say “consumer empowerment sales tactic”.

The built in support for UDDI has been there for a while, and adoption is still more limited than you would expect. My word processor has built in support for French characters and spelling but that doesn’t mean I use the functions.

I could not agree more with this statement: “I do believe that ebXML Registry has a defensible niche in B2B collaboration in specific verticals. Whether there is enough of a vendor ecosystem and innovation around ebXML to sustain it is another matter.”

Healthcare and automotive seem to be areas with the most current adoption. You might also look at geos – ebXML is a bit hotter in Asia Pac.

From: Daniel Feygin [mailto:feygin@unitspace.com]
Sent: 22 June 2005 15:44
To: 'Jørgen Thyme'; uddi-dev@lists.oasis-open.org

Jørgen,

I personally do not see any new ebXML registries coming or a compelling reason for them to come. The only viable ebXML Registry implementations I know of (Infravio [1] and Sun [2]) support both ebXML and UDDI, which I take as a consumer empowerment sales tactic. In my admittedly biased view, the momentum is certainly on the UDDI side with all SOA-enabling infrastructure (message/protocol intermediation brokers, development and management tools) shipping with built-in support for UDDI only. Because registry is not so much a feature of an architecture as it is its platform supporting specific capabilities, its value is proportional to the number of systems that leverage it. There simply isn't enough of a market opportunity or a viable go-to-market strategy for an alternative universal registry standard at this time.

Although SOA transformation is what drives a lot of infrastructure spending these days, I do believe that ebXML Registry has a defensible niche in B2B collaboration in specific verticals. Whether there is enough of a vendor ecosystem and innovation around ebXML to sustain it is another matter.

Somewhat tangential to your inquiry, I may note that if you are accessing the registry from within a Java platform, you may use JAXR (Java API for XML Registries), which is designed to support both ebXML and UDDI information models and API's through a common client interface. However it is unlikely that you will be able to run the same code against both ebXML and UDDI registries without change.

Regards,

Daniel

[2] http://www.sun.com/products/soa/registry/