uddi-ms message

Subject: Election of the UDDI Member Section Steering Committee

Later today I will open a ballot for election of the Steering Committee. I have approval from the current Steering Committee to reduce the size of the Steering Committee to 3 members. This is permitted under our Rules of Procedure, so long as we keep an odd number of members. For those 3 seats we have 4 very qualified candidates. I'm including below, in alphabetical sequence, the information forwarded by the candidates to introduce themselves and to describe their qualifications, motivations, ideas, etc. If you carry the vote for your organization, please watch your email for the ballot, and follow the link to vote for the 3 candidates you think best qualified to lead our Member Section. Thanks much.

Regards, George

Chair, OASIS UDDI Member Section Steering Committee
Managing Director, UDDI Operators Council
Web Services Strategy, IBM Software Group
1-408-463-4041 or 543-4041, FAX 3319
zagelow@us.ibm.com

---------------------- Forwarded by George Zagelow/Santa Teresa/IBM on 08/05/2004 12:49 PM ---------------------------

Ian Bruce, Director of Marketing at Systinet Corporation

Ian has over 20 years experience in marketing, business development and
corporate communications, most recently at CSC where he was Head of
Communications at the company's European headquarters. Ian has also held
senior marketing positions with CWB (acquired by Thales), and Analog
Devices. Ian holds a BSc from Coventry University, England, and a PhD in
Communication from SyracuseUniversity.

Ian was a member of the Software & Information Industry Association's = Web
services working group and has been actively involved with the EAI
Consortium's Web services and SOA group.

"I believe a registry is a critical ingredient of an effective
service-oriented architecture, providing standards-based approach to
advertising, discovering and reusing services. UDDI.org will play a key

role in ensuring that users appreciate and understand how the registry can
be effectively deployed, and the associated technical, architectural, and
business process issues. Prospective users need a clear rationale for
adopting UDDI, and evidence that the registry can provide business = value.
Using case studies, business outreach and by actively enrolling the =
support of existing users, analysts, and the media, UDDI.org is well
positioned = to show this value and accelerate adoption."

"This is an exciting opportunity. My goals for the Member Section would
be:

> Significantly extend and grow active membership and involvement in the
Member Section

> Develop UDDI.org into a destination site and resource center for
adopters, contributors, journalists and analysts interested in learning about and
furthering the development of UDDI

> Develop an integrated marketing campaign and outreach to:
- Users of the specification - vendors, enterprise architects and

senior IT management who are beginning the process of creating or deploying
a = UDDI registry

- Prospective adopters of the standard who are grappling with how to
architect and deploy an effective SOA

- Journalists & Analysts interested in understanding the role and
value of UDDI and the progress, support and state-of-adoption of the
standard

The overall goal will be to significantly raise awareness of UDDI and
effectively communicate the standard's importance and centrality for
creating a SOA."

A short bio is posted at the following location:
    http://uddi.org/governance/#hamer

Jean-Luc Levesque
Company Director of EdiEyes ltd in London
Dircetor of EdiEyes France to
President of S10M Ophtalmic Committee at AFNOR in France.
ISO expert for optics business (instruments and data exchange)
President of Semantic Optics Association

We are very interested by this project. We use and need it in our ophtalmic
application for searching all resources we need to process a complete equipment
(spectacle lens + spectacle frame + glazing + mounting). Our system is already used
by 13.000 Opticians in Europa (60.000 Opticians) and all main laboratories (Essilor,
Hoya, Sola, Oakley, Baush & Lomb, Vistakon, Menicon...) and main frame
manufacturors (Luxottica, Charmant, ...) in Europa and main chains of opticians in France
and Spain.

Vicki currently works within SAP's Technology Standards Organization as the Director of Business Strategy. Within her role, she actively participates in the governance and marketing activities of organizations such as the Java Community Process, the Eclipse Foundation, and the Java Tools Community.  Within SAP, Vicki drives the process for evaluation and integration of Java and Web services standards into SAP's product portfolio, and directs related messaging and marketing activities as liaison to the corporate organizations of product definition and product marketing. Prior to joining SAP, Vicki worked for many years within Sun Microsystems's Java Software organization. She was a member of the team that created the formalized Java Community Process. She also worked as one of the original Java product managers managing families of APIs for extending the Java platform with media capability, and for use within the embedded/wireless domain through EmbeddedJava, Real-time Java, and EmbeddedJava tools.

"SAP is extremely committed to UDDI and looks forward to participating in marketing activities that will drive its positioning and proliferation within the Web services market."