uddi-promo-discuss message

Subject: Production UDDI?

I've recently been asked "Do you know of any cases where UDDI has been used
and maintained at the enterprise level for a significant (say, >1 yr)
amount of time?"

I can point to the UDDI Business Registry (UBR) with four operators (IBM,
Microsoft, NTT, SAP), but need to qualify it that the data cannot be
trusted.  Lots of people use it to publish what I would consider test
entries when learning to use web services.  But, as far as a production
registry, the operators have done a good job of keeping it up and
running.  We can debate whether UBR can be considered "enterprise level".

I can point to PSN and CPXe [1].  Looks like it has been up for a while,
but not too much listed.  This would be an e-Marketplace registry, one of
six species outlined by IBM [2].

Are there others?  What species?

I assume some internal EAI registries may exist.
It would be nice to understand what policies are in place within such
organizations, for example, to require people building web services to
register them, perhaps using a particular taxonomy.  Seems like a
chicken-and-egg situation:  people won't register unless there is a policy,
but policy-makers are reluctant to impose such a policy without better
evidence of the business case for doing so.  They can't require people to
register until they provide a registry, but they won't pay for deployment
of a registry without a good business case.

UDDI promotion must start with the business cases!

[1] http://production.pictureservices.org/directory/web
[2]
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-rpu1.html?dwzone=webservices

Paul