Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Issue u11: UDDI mandates UTF-8

> Although it was agreed in the first phone meeting that
> version 3 would serve as the basis for all further work, if
> it were it agreed that version 2 needed "fixing" for purposes
> of UTF-16 support, and that an erratum is not the proper way
> of addressing the issue, would it be possible to issue a
> version 2.1 specifically for this purpose, and which would be
> identical to version 2, except for support for UTF-16?

I think at the first meeting this issue was discussed I suggested that
this was probably a Specification Change request i.e. dealt with under
the process described in 1.6 of the process document rather than an
erratum per se - i.e. it could be construed as feedback from
implementers tackling WSI conformance. This way we can avoid the
argument of whether not adopting UTF-8 was accidental or deliberate (it
was clearly the latter from the discussion) and concentrate on whether
we want to adopt UTF-16.

As I see it there are two fundamental questions to address:

i) do we want UDDI to adopt UTF-16 or stick with UTF-8? (this rests on
consensus of supporting UTF-16 per se)
ii) if we do adopt UTF-16 is this a specification change request for v2
and v3 or just v3. (This rests on the implementation impact on existing
v2 software).

In any case, I believe it was agreed that whenever a set of erratum
and/or specification changes are published (and it was suggested we
batch these so not to appear to be changing the standard too often),
this would result in a minor version increment for UDDI (v2 is already
at v2.07 or there abouts) - also that the version numbers of all the v2
documents (API, Data Structures etc) should be kept in sync (even if
these means that the a document is reissued without any other change but
the version number).

Matthew