Subject: Re: [uddi-spec] Last call on Discussion for WSDL Best Practice v1.08

Jan,

I assume your question concerns only the V2 TN and that you are not
suggesting a change to the V1 BP.

For the V2 TN, there is the issue of compatibility with the V1 BP, as you
mention, and that alone would be sufficient reason to keep a tModel for a
binding.

Leaving that aside, I think there are other good reasons to have a tModel
for a binding.

One is that a binding is (could be) a discrete reusable concept and is
therefore a good candidate for a tModel.

A second is that there may be more to a particular binding than just the
protocol and transport, so you may want to find implementations of a
specific named binding, rather than, for example, just any old SOAP/HTTP
binding, and there is no way, in UDDI V1/V2 at least, to find
implementations of a particular binding other than to have a tModel for that
binding.  In the V1/V2 API, find_binding only takes a tModelBag so if you
don't have a tModel for a particular binding you cannot find
bindingTemplates that have that particular binding in their technical
fingerprint.  You will have to give me an example of how you can allow the
4th type of query by adding keyedReferences.

A third is that it provides a convenient place to hold a reference to the
WSDL file containing the binding in case that is required.  This belongs
with the tModel that represents the binding rather than being duplicated in
every bindingTemplate that references the binding.

I think it is entirely reasonable that the three-tier WSDL model of
portType/binding/port is reflected in a three-tier UDDI model of
(portType)tModel/(binding)tModel/bindingTemplate.

John Colgrave