Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] FW: UDDI's UUIDs issue

The idea that the registry presents a particular and complete and reliable set of the data in response to find_** APIs makes it very difficult to decentralize the UDDI data.

The number of unresolvable URIs for the discovery data returned by search engines listed below are an example of what happens when discovery is decentralized.   An unreliable discovery system is, in my opinion, not suitable for any machine processing.

The third party aggregation model can still be built on a centralized system to provide more efficient query capability than that provided by the UDDI find_** APIs, but the intention is that the UDDI find_** API and subscription API can help build those systems on a particular registry's or registries' data set.

Andrew Hately
IBM Austin
UDDI Development, Emerging Technologies
Lotus Notes: Andrew Hately/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Internet: hately@us.ibm.com
(512) 838-2866,  t/l 678-2866

Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>

12/04/2002 01:13 PM

Andrew Hately/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Uddi-Spec <uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
RE: [uddi-spec] FW: UDDI's UUIDs issue

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your extensive response. I still have the impression that it does not completely address Paul's point:

> UDDI ... should be a decentralized system where
> everybody controls their own information and anybody can become an
> aggregator of the information. examples of Web data aggregators include
> AltaVista, Google, Meerkat and Yahoo.

What exactly prevents the third party aggregation model proposed above from being applied to UDDI?

Thank you,
Ugo