Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] CR-010: isReplacedBy tModel

Title: RE: [uddi-spec] CR-010: isReplacedBy tModel

 That's a really valuable generalisation, but I have a problem, which may be a simple misunderstanding.

If we want to associate a cardinality with the use of the tModel, rather than with the tModel itself, then I have trouble understanding how we do it. If an object has two keyed references in its identifier bag, how do we indicate which keyed reference is being annotated by the categorisation keyed reference? I'm not about to suggest that a keyed reference should have its own category bag - that would be an ugly solution.

One solution is to say that we limit the cardinality tModel to a specific identifier tModel (shame - I'd rather a more general solution), and further we limit the occurrence of that identifier tModel to one per identifier bag - that's awfully limiting.

Can someone enlighten me if I'm misunderstanding?

Tony R.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne Thomas Manes
To: Rogers, Tony; Andrew Hately
Cc: uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: 13/02/2003 4:00 AM

Actually, I think it would be very useful to produce a Technical Note
that talks about best practices when using identifier and category bags.

I have no objection to creating a cardinality tModel. I'm sure that
people will find it useful beyond just as a way to classify identifier
tModels.

Do you envision it being used on the identifier tModel, or on an entity
being identified using the identifier tModel. I'm sure that there are
some identifier schemes that always require one-to-one relationships,
but I suspect that there are many than can support a variety of
relationships (such as isReplacedBy). Therefore I think it would be more
useful when used with entities rather than identifier tModels. In that
case you'd probably want to create a set of tModels to represent the
various types of relationships (1-to-1, 1-to-many, etc), and the the
KeyValue would specify the identifier tModelKey.

But I have to ask, what are the use cases for these tModels?

Anne