Subject: Re: [uddi-spec] TN idea: link tags for UDDI

Sorry, I still can't who and why would use this technology?
Is there a real life use case for this?

Cheers,
Max
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Denning" <pauld@mitre.org>
To: <uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2003 7:14 AM

> Thanks for your feedback.
> My comments inline below.
>
> Paul
>
> At 04:54 AM 2003-04-16, Daniel Feygin wrote:
> >I think it is important that we devise technical solutions to support
> >expanded applicability of UDDI and its accessibility (service delivery)
> >through various meaningful channels.  Paul's proposed methods would
result
> >in users' ability to neatly weave UDDI into semi-structured Web and
business
> >documents that could be substantially broad in nature.  I believe this
would
> >be helpful, but I think industry acceptance is something that needs to be
> >addressed.  Even a helpful TN would not do much good unless it is broadly
> >implemented.
>
> I am suggesting that publishing this as a TN would lead to broader
> implementation than if no TN is published.
>
> >In my view this TN risks being ignored, unless we identify and
> >promote sufficiently powerful value that would drive its adoption (say,
> >Microsoft embeds this functionality in IE, which instantly makes it a
> >simple-to-implement competitive parity feature for other browser makers).
>
> I don't see this as something that needs to be added to a browser.  I am
> thinking of things like bookmarklets that you use or activate from within
> browser, but may result in actions outside the browser.  For example,
> bookmarklets for RSS can pass the embedded link to
> amphetadesk.  Amphetadesk is outside the browser.  Once amphetadesk adds
> the link to its set of RSS files, amphetadesk would then retrieve the RSS
file.

> I am thinking of an extension of amphetadesk (or other RSS aggregator)
> that, instead of simply retrieving RSS files could send SOAP inquiries to
> the UDDI server.  The query parameters could be set up separately;
> amphetadesk has a settings page, which might be a place to add a link to
> build the query (taxonomy drill down, write find_* to an XML file).
>
> >In case of its successful adoption it would positively contribute to
UDDI -
> >and particularly UBR - adoption.
>
> In doing <link> for UDDI similar to the way it is used with RSS, I am
> hoping to piggyback on or leverage the success of RSS and blog technology.
>

> >In terms of implementation, I don't think SOAP API or WSIL are relevant
in
> >this context, because UDDI's discoveryURL feature enables businessEntity
> >retrieval using HTTP GET, which is all that is needed.
>
> The use cases I see that would need the SOAP API are for runtime use of
> UDDI by application-to-application exchanges.  They would just happen to
> use the machine-readable <link> within the XHTML homepage.  Given a
> hostname and port, it is easy to retrieve the homepage.  DNS SRV RRs can
> easily provide the hostname and port, but using DNS to provide a URI is
> less straightforward.  TXT RRs can be used, but they are too general.  PTR
> or NAPTR (DDDS) RRs are a possibility, but it seems a little easier to use
> SRV RRs.
>
> I was trying to provide a way to discover UDDI servers, or rather, avoid
> manual configuration of applications that consume web services (and use
> UDDI at runtime to discover them).  If example.com has a homepage with a
> <link> to its businessEntity in UBR, I still don't know the URL for the
UBR
> SOAP inquiry API.  I perhaps could link (from the example.com homepage) to
> the businessEntity for the UDDI node, then look in its bindings for the
> inquiry accessPoint, such as, [4][5][6][7].
>
> So the example.com homepage would contain
>
> <head> .... <link rel="alternate"
> type="application/uddi-biz+xml"  title="uddi-node"

href="http://uddi.ibm.com/ubr/uddiget?businessKey=1B51FFEA-9101-43D0-BAB9-4C
5791E102B1"
> />
>
> That is, title="uddi-node" would indicate that this bizEntity is for the
> UDDI node to which example.com publishes its own bizEntity.  If
example.com
> publishes to UBR and other private UDDI registries, its homepage could
have
> multiple <link ... title="uddi-node" href=... />
>
> So if I plug my laptop into a LAN, the following sequence would bootstrap
> me for consuming web services:
>
> 1.  DCHP gives me my IP address and my-domain, and DNS servers,
> 2.  DNS can give me an SRV RR for _http._tcp.<my-domain>
> 3.  HTTP GET on a homepage for the host and port indicated in the SRV RR
> 4.  Extract the <link> info to find the bizEntity for the UDDI Node (could
> be a private UDDI registry within my intranet),
> 5.  HTTP GET the bizEntity, extract the accessPoint for the UDDI SOAP
> inquiry API
> 6.  send SOAP requests to the UDDI node for things my app is configured to
> use (e.g., certain tModelBag),
> 7.  Optionally, look in the UDDI node for other UDDI nodes, repeat from
Step 5

http://uddi.microsoft.com/discovery?businessKey=6c068bd0-21f8-40f0-9742-94e60e68d690

http://uddi.sap.com/UDDI/discovery/businessEntity/02fb553a-5be9-47b7-a0d8-dc94a1709703

http://www.uddi.ne.jp/ubr/uddiget?businessKey=4C8A7E90-B9F1-11D6-9C9F-000255762291