Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Use of UDDI.org as a means of promoting TC, UBR, Std Group and Consortium tModels and Value Sets

Title: Message
Anne,

I would like to especially answer your first point. We need a means to limit the number of those requests that want to publish a V2 tModel whose key is derived from a domain-based V3 key since the publication itself needs special actions by a registry operator. The interpretation of the term "well-known" is up to the UDDI Member Section's Steering Committee or the UDDI TC (that's why I added the parenthesized note).

Claus

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne Thomas Manes [mailto:anne@manes.net]
Sent: Mittwoch, 14. Mai 2003 18:01
To: uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org

Claus/all,

I'm really pleased to see this moving along so quickly. But I have a couple of concerns.

1- This statement makes me a bit uneasy: "The announcement of tModel availability is limited to tModels that represent a well-known concept and/or are owned by a well-known standards group or consortium (note that "well-known" may be limited to an industry, a geographical region or other contexts)."

I wouldn't want to restrict this effort to "well-known" consortia. I think it's quite reasonable for a local SIG to develop a useful value set and propose its public availability. I would prefer that we define a public process that permits anyone to make a proposal. If a standards group submits a proposal that applies to its specific industry segment, we should accept it without question once we've verified that it is a well-formed value set. If the proposal has cross-industry application or if it has been submitted by an individual or informal group, then we should evaluate it and solicit comments and input -- the same way that we would handle a proposed technical note.

2- I'm also very hesitant to use the UBR as the repository for these "approved" value sets. It's very difficult to distinguish valid information from test/junk information in the UBR. There's no way of indicating in the UBR that a tModel has been "approved", and I don't think it's appropriate to require a user to view a page on the UDDI.org member section page to determine the status of a tModel in the UBR. You would need the equivalent of a business assertion between a business entity representing the UDDI-spec TC and the approved tModel -- but that's not supported. That's why I recommended a separate UDDI registry operated by the UDDI.org members as the registry of record. I think it's appropriate to require that the value set first be registered in the UBR as part of the application process, but once the tModel has been "approved", it should be registered in the UDDI .org member registry.

Anne