Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Update to CR-034 (Creating self-referencing tModels)

Title: Message
I believe we are all agreed about 2 and 3. The rub comes in 1, because it causes problems with 2-pass architectures vs 1-pass architectures.

A 2-pass architecture validates the entire content of the save operation, then executes it. That fits well with the requirement that the entire save fails if any element of it fails. Indeed, I thought this was the intended implementation while I was reading the standard initially.

A 1-pass architecture validates one item, then saves it, then proceeds to the next one, rolling the entire transaction back if there's a problem. That's all very well for those using a transaction-based storage system, but that's not a prerequisite that we should be placing on the implementor.

My strong preference is to forbid all internal references within a single save_ call - we have witnessed all manner of strange and horrible behaviours that must be specified if one permits references within the call. Things like: "what if someone saves a service under a different business after saving it under a first business, all in the one save_business call?".

Is there a real use case for allowing resaving within a single call? It seems to me that the only reason it's allowed is so we have a whole pile of problems to solve :-(

Tony Rogers
-----Original Message-----
From: Luc Clement [mailto:lclement@windows.microsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 8 July 2003 14:37
To: Rogers, Tony; Von Riegen, Claus; uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org

I have a problem making this a registry policy. I'm concerned about allow too many degrees of freedom in the spec when what the CR proposes is consistent with the spec today. To restate, given:

(1)     a tModel being saved refers to a tModel that is created earlier in the sequence of tModels

(2)     a tModel being saved (and created) refers to itself

(3)     a tModel being saved refers to a tModel that is created later in the sequence of tModels

The proposed solution (below) seems entirely reasonable and consistent with the rest of the spec in regards to the processing in document order principle (as well as satisfying the principle of least astonishment IMO).

Case (1) is allowed since tModels, like all other entities in save_xx API calls, are processed in document order.

Case (3) is not allowed since the tModel to which a keyedReference points to is to be saved at a later time. An E_invalidKeyPassed error must be returned.

Case (2) is not o.k. since it would otherwise require a special processing behavior. An E_invalidKeyPassed error message must be returned.

Luc Clément
Microsoft