Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Comments on 3.0.1 Schemas and WSDL

Matthew Dovey wrote:

> I'm not too bothered whether the URLs are relative or absolute as long
> as they are correct!
>
> This isn't the case with the current WSDL files on uddi.org.
> uddi_api_v3_portType.wsdl has the import statement of
>
> <import namespace="urn:uddi-org:api_v3" location="uddi_v3.xsd" />
>
> However its URL is http://uddi.org/wsdl/uddi_api_v3_portType.wsdl and
> uddi_v3.xsd is at http://uddi.org/schema/uddi_v3.xsd (i.e. if relative
> the import location should be "../schema/uddi_v3.xsd").
>
> As such it isn't possible to use the WSDL/XSD etc. in situ but you have
> to download them and either edit the imports or put all the files into
> the same location.
>
> *This* definitely needs to be fixed, and I suspect absolute URLs was
> seen as a solution.

Matthew,

I think this is a reasonable guess at how things came to be as they are.

I tend to use the WSDL and Schema files locally, because either I am
disconnected or I am working on updates to them and therefore need to pick
up the local version rather than the currently published version.

It seems more flexible to me to use relative URLs and make sure that the
files are published appropriately.  This allows a single set of files to be
used either over the web or locally without having to edit the files.

John