Subject: Requirements Document Template: Support for Semantic Search

Massimo and Katia,

I'm following up from Tuesday's call where we discussed the possibility of adding Semantic Search capabilities to the set of requirements under consideration for v.Next. Before pressing on to further discussion on this topic a requirements document needs to be written and reviewed. I took the action item to send you a link to the requirements template, and to describe to you the process we're following in our v.Next work. You can find the requirements document template at: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/5114/uddi-spec-tc-requirements-template.doc.

As a first step, the requirements document focusing on scenarios needs to be submitted. The TC will use this document to assess and refine scenarios and  requirements and then proceed to prioritize these against the set of other requirements we are working on for v.Next. You can use Max's Req 011-014 [1] document as an example. You can then use the Proposal template [2] to document a (set of) solution(s) for this capability.

The “UDDI v.Next Requirements List” document [3] I posted today should help you understand how the Semantic Search capabilities relate to other work under consideration. Finally, find below the current project plan.

Max, Massimo and Katia, I'd like to reiterate that while I think that looking at Semantic Search capabilities is worth it, we need to keep our sights on a very important set of requirements (011-014) which are to (in short): define a means of publishing taxonomies; query taxonomies; navigate taxonomies, manage taxonomies; and define a normative schema for taxonomies. I think OWL may be very well suited to this and I'd like to see this worked on aggressively. In the end, solutions need to be in the form of APIs and schemas which satisfy the requirements we identified and prioritized - see Section 3.3 of [3]. Its my hope that you can balance work on Semantic Search capabilities with work on taxonomy management.

Regards,
Luc

Luc Clément
Secretary, OASIS UDDI Spec TC

Web:        www.iclement.net/luc
Cell:         425.941.0150

[1] Req 011-014, http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/4065/uddi-spec-tc-req011-14-20031030.doc
[2] V.Next Proposal template, http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/5113/uddi-spec-tc-proposal-template.doc
[3] UDDI v.Next Requirements List, http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/5126/uddi-vnext-requirements-list.htm

Project Plan

Milestone

Solution#

Owner

Target

Post Solution Documents

Access Control

016

Andrew, John,

Luc, Ugo

1/15

Improving Trustworthiness

018

Andrew, Tony, Ugo

1/31

Extended findQualifiers for Bags

020

Claus, Daniel, Tom

1/15

keyedReferenceGroup Behavior Override

023

Matthew, Claus, Tom

1/31

WS-Security Compatibility

004

Andrew, Max

1/15

Federation Enablement

021

Claus, Max

2/28 or sooner

Taxonomy Items

011

Max, Matthew, Daniel

1/30

Grid Services

017

Matthew, John

2/28

Misc Items

026

Tom

1/30

WSDL 2.0 Compatibility

003

John, Claus

TBD

Specification Assembly & Review

All Solution Documents Reviewed

3/30

Assemble Specification from Solution Docs

4/30

Review

5/30

Editorial Pass