Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Comments on UDDI Taxonomy Representation Requirements

JP,

You seem to be following along just fine, but your questions cover both
REQ-028, and one proposed solution for it, and REQ-029.  I was trying to
limit my comments to REQ-028.

Backwards compatibility is a requirement but there is a conflict with that
requirement and the requirement to be XML-based, as I think that any
XML-based solution will probably end up with an NCName [1] as an identifier
of a node in the taxonomy and, as has already been pointed out with respect
to UNSPSC, an NCName has to begin with a Letter or the underscore character,
which means that you cannot have "numeric" identifiers.

As part of the backwards compatibility requirement, I think it is assumed
that there will continue to be a tModel to represent the taxonomy.  As I
pointed out in [2], one option is to associate a UDDI entity with a class in
the taxonomy in just the way you describe, so if there is an ontology of
business types with a class "Wholesalers" then you could indeed construct a
keyedReference with the key of the tModel and the value "Wholesalers".

The possible enhancement to the query capabilities is where we stray into
the territory of REQ-029 and I have not given that much thought yet.  At the
moment, I think there are two options:

1) Query the taxonomy separately and then construct a standard UDDI query.

2) Enhance the standard UDDI query to embed in some way the taxonomy query.

To take your example of a "Retail Outlet" and a Wholesaler, then taking
option 1 you would query the taxonomy for all "children" of Wholesaler and
get back "Retail Outlet" so you could then issue a standard UDDI query for
"Retail Outlet"s.  If you took option 2 then you would issue an enhanced
UDDI query passing in Wholesaler and an indication that you would accept any
and all "children" of Wholesaler.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#NT-NCName
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/uddi-spec/200402/msg00076.html

John Colgrave