Subject: RE: Find qualifiers in search ranges + related updates for Req 23

My e-mail got distorted (there were supposed to be 3 items, with an example for each) - I should know better than that :-)

I do believe that at the very least we need to be able to specify the behaviours I've labelled as subset and superset - whether the range on the query must be completely contained in the range on the object, or vice versa, for a match. These two would seem to be the bare minimum. (I'm less convinced about the intersection) I would definitely not categorise either of these as an approximate match - that concept just doesn't "fit".

I suppose exact match is reasonable, but it seems less useful with ranges than with individual values. BTW: I would assume that the exactness extends to the inclusivity of the bounds (lower bound of 10 inclusive does not exactly match lower bound of 10 exclusive).
-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Bellwood [mailto:bellwood@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thu 25-Mar-04 8:13
To: Rogers, Tony
Cc: uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org

I'm not convinced we need the all of these, but I agree some control here is requiredl. IMO we should try to keep the behavior here consistent with default behaviors expressed elsewhere. "exactMatch" is the default matching behavior and it already covers keyName and keyValue data in keyedReferences. It should be enhanced to apply to the various members of the keyedReferenceRange structure, including lowerValue, upperValue, lowerInclusive, upperInclusive and inverted. Better yet, we should also consider defining keyedReferenceRange to contain a keyedReference plus these other new elements/attributes we added. This would simplify the spec and the changes we have to make to take this related structure into account.

While we're at it, all of the other FQ's which reference bag elements need to be updated to take keyedReferenceRange into accoung (for example, caseSensitiveMatch and caseInsensitiveMatch need to now also include lowerValue and upperValue, and so on).

As for the qualifiers you've identified, should we look at trying to extend the approximateMatch notation and rules to achieve most of what's desired and add any new FQ's needed after that?

Thanks,
Tom Bellwood Phone: (512) 838-9957 (external); TL: 678/9957 (internal)
Co-Chair, OASIS UDDI Specification TC
STSM - Emerging Technologies
IBM Corporation