Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Groups - uddi-spec-tc-prop028-owl-20040323.doc uploaded

Tom,

In the examples section of the OWL proposal you use two different approaches
to defining subclassing:

  <owl:Class rdf:ID="xmlSpec">
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <owl:Class rdf:about="#specification"/>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
    <rdfs:label rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string";
    >Specification for a Web service using XML messages</rdfs:label>
  </owl:Class>

  <owl:Class rdf:ID="findQualifier">
    <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#tModel"/>
    <rdfs:label rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string";
    >Find qualifier</rdfs:label>
  </owl:Class>

I'm more familiar with the former when a restriction or some other
characteristic is being enacted on the subclass.  The second form is the
common form I'm familiar with.  Why define xmlSpec the way you did above and
not the way you declared findQualifier?

On an additional note about your proposal.  There are multiple ways to
declare ontologies using OWL that can mean the same thing.  Do we not also
need a method of determining either canonical structure or equivalence
between definitions?

JP