Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Conference call on Taxonomy browsing/navigation requirements

Title: RE: [uddi-spec] Conference call on Taxonomy browsing/navigation requirements

Tony,

If by “access to the definition of the taxonomy” you mean the same OWL file(s) that were loaded into the registry, then yes.  The protection is in the (lack of) distribution of the OWL files.

I think that just having a standard representation of ontologies/taxonomies is a huge step forward and I agree that it is better that we take this first necessary step rather than get mired down in the less important requirements.

John Colgrave

IBM

-----Original Message-----
From: Rogers, Tony [mailto:Tony.Rogers@ca.com]
Sent: 17 May 2004 23:00
To: John Colgrave; John Colgrave; uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org

That's understandable, albeit a little disappointing.

I suppose we must then assume that the client GUIs will use access to the definition of the taxonomy to create the GUI browsing. Not ideal, because it doesn't fit with the original idea of protected access to the IP-controlled taxonomies, but...

Better we get the first part of the problem addressed, than none of it.

Tony