Subject: OWL UDDI

This message is in reference to the status of OWL UDDI with respect to
the hierarchy of OWL languages (Lite/DL/Full).  In the UDDI spec TC V4
Proposal: OWL as UDDI Taxonomy Language it is claimed that OWL UDDI is
OWL Full.  Actually I think that OWL UDDI can very easily be re-casted
in OWL Lite,  furthermore I suspect that the definition presented in
section  2.1.4 is actually wrong because it tries to redefine the basic
OWL class owl:Class.

What I propose instead is to redefine OWL UDDI on the bases of the
following class.

  <owl:Class rdf:ID="UDDI-Class">
    <rdfs:label>UDDI-Class</rdfs:label>
    <comment>
      Class that specifies the types of classes that can be used in UDDI.
      This class is characterized of one (optional) boolean property called
      "selectable", characterized by a cardinality 1 restriction.
    <comment>
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
    <owl:Restriction>
      <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="selectable"/>
      <owl:maxCardinality
rdf:datatype="&xsd;nonNegativeInteger">1</owl:maxCardinality>
    </owl:Restriction>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
  </owl:Class>

  <owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:ID="selectable">
    <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#UDDI-Class"/>
    <rdfs:range rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#boolean"/>
  </owl:DatatypeProperty>

If we adopt this view, OWL UDDI is just OWL Lite  (cardinality
restriction of at most 1).

the assumption that any class loaded in UDDI either has the selectable
property set to false or it is unselectable would still hold, in
addition given a taxonomy, to make any class unselectable it is enough
to add an about statements like in the following example:

  <owl:Class rdf:about="http://www.unspsc.org/UNv61101#_90121602";>
    <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://uddi.org/owl#UDDI-Class"/>
    <uddi:selectable
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#boolean";>false</uddi:selectable>
  </owl:Class>

If this solution is adopted, the TN would need some minor editing to
section 2.1.4 and to the example taxonomies.  I will send the corrected
TN tomorrow

--- Massimo