Subject: Gartner Summit UDDI demo

Here is a short summary for the benefit of those who were not on the call hosted by Luc.  Demo opportunity generated interest from these vendors: IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, Systinet and UnitSpace.  Gartner will be informed of the group's intention to participate, along with proposed abstract.  Demonstration scenario is unclear at this time and is the single most critical uncertainty aside from firm vendor commitments.  However certain aspects of presentation and demonstration are clear:
1. Our intention is to cast UDDI as the core component of SOA, enabling visibility, reusability, agility and manageability.
2. We should not assume the audience is familiar with UDDI.
3. We want to give floor to customers for brief adoption testimonials.  This would stimulate attendance (we are competing with one similar parallel session) and help stave off some people's wrongful impression that UDDI is not relevant.
4. The core of demo scenario needs to be as simple as possible without compromising point 1 above.  This means V3 features such as subscription will be sidelined as a standardized set of bells and whistles that goes beyond the conceptual core, which is very simple, usable and stable.
5. The demo is vendor-neutral, aimed at promoting the UDDI standard.  Vendors represent industry support and ready product availability.

To that I would like to add that UnitSpace is not in a position to provide registry implementation for the demo.  UnitSpace can only participate as a developer of a product that leverages UDDI to advertise, discover and manage services, originating from within runtime instances of our product.  The type of services that we can most effectively demonstrate are data servicesthat provide the ability to share/synchronize data (securely) between multiple parties or systems.  It has been used in B2B and internal contexts in industries as diverse as CPG, retail/distribution, automotive, travel and government.  We can also have BPEL-driven process services if necessary, but IMO that will detract from the main points we will be trying to make about UDDI.  It will help make the point of UDDI keeping track of a variety of Web services artifacts (beyond WSDL) though, which I do not think is particularly exciting for most people yet.

Claus, Luc and I, of those who expressed interest in this opportunity, where involved in a similar effort earlier, when we were tasked with putting together a demo for UDDI.  While that previous endeavor never really took off, I was asked to circulate the remnants of that work, which are attached to this message and may be used as a starting point for revitalizing the scenario discussion.  Please note that we were focusing on a B2B scenario, not intra-enterprise.  It is the latter which is now considered the most compelling case for the near term, as was pointed out on the call, although it is not clear why there would be a number of UDDI registries in one company.  Also, the audience was more technical last time, which motivated us to highlight all the various features of UDDI (pre-V3), like extensive use of publisherAssertions.  The intention, of course, is the opposite this time around - to keep things simple and highlight the big concepts.

Regards,
Daniel

Daniel Feygin
CTO
UnitSpace Corporation
www.unitspace.com
feygin@unitspace.com
Office:
Mobile:
+7 095 748-0901
+7 916 811-5657

Add my complete details to your address book (vCard)...

uddidemo-scenario-old.doc

smime.p7s