Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Groups - Minutes of meeting - 25 Jan 2005 (TC_FTF_Minutes-v1 0-20050125.doc) uploaded

As indicated in the minutes, I think it would be worthwhile for the UDDI
Spec TC to look at some work that appeared recently under the auspices of
IETF.  They are [1], [2] and [3].  After studying them, we might find that
we need to produce feedback or adjust our own plans.

In general, I believe 2005 is a good year for us to look back at the work
done at breakneck pace in the previous years and assess whether
non-functional refactoring (simplification) might be a priority for v.Next.
Among the issues I keep hearing is the sheer number of pages in V3
specification, which is sometimes a manifestation of inconsistent modeling
or caveat-ridden behavior.  We have v.Next functional requirements, such as
access control, range-based queries and semantics, which can drive some of
the transformations toward a simpler and leaner design and intuitively
predictable behavior, which ultimately influence the rate of adoption.

In addition to the TNs already mentioned, we might consider a general
framework for mapping of whatever protocols are being developed that build
on SOAP and WSDSL through their composable design and extensibility model.
This is particularly important in the cases when a protocol adds (potential)
SOAP mustUnderstand extensions (actually, since mustUnderstand is often a
policy issue, a policy TN may be a dependency).  Such a TN would enable
outside groups to make more autonomous decisions on how a new WS-*
technology can be modeled in the services' technical fingerprints.  Since
WS-Security is already in the TN pipeline, we may choose to first create a
more generic framework on which the WSS TN would be based.  Getting WSS TC
involved would be more straightforward.  In addition to a WS-Security TN, I
would like to see a WS-RM TN leveraging the same framework.

Daniel

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3981.txt
[2] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-snell-dnsepd-01.txt
[3] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-snell-dnsepduri-01.txt