Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Policy support - wsdl policy use case

Tony stating that he could not access the file. I've posted it at http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/14955/echo_policy.wsdl

From: Luc Clement [mailto:luc.clement@systinet.com]
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 23:42
To: uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [uddi-spec] Policy support - wsdl policy use case

Dear members:

As we embark on tackling policy in the context of the technical notes [1], [2] and [3] I'd like us to also consider and ensure that we look a set of specific modeling requirements which today are not directly supported by WS-PolicyAttachment IMO.

I offer the attached WSDL and it use of WS-Policy (ignore for the moment that it references the 2002 version of WS-Pol) as a set of concrete requirements that we need to address in the context of representing this in registry (to make it discoverable... I'll avoid stating the other obvious use cases).

What this WSDL does is simply demonstrate the need to:
Does this imply that we have to map operations and messages to the registry and update the WSDL/UDDI mapping and update ws-policyattachment? No. We surely may have to review the WSDL/UDDI mapping but I would not jump to the conclusion that we must map ops and msgs simply to be able to tack on a policy expression. I think what is required is the means to express on the uddi:bindingTemplates constraints and capabilities that apply to its messages and operations. We might convince ourselves that we have to reify operations in the registry, but once you do that what would be the rationale for not reifying the messages (and maybe we will need to) ... ok so I digress... I think you know where I'm going with this.
Unfortunately, I can't be on the call tomorrow. I scheduled a TC call and a flight to the west coast at the same time. Oops... sorry.

Please review. I hope that this will help kick off out policy deliberations and work.

Regards,
Luc

Luc Clément | Program Director | Systinet Corporation |
Co-Chair OASIS UDDI Specification Technical Committee
One van de Graaff Drive Burlington, MA 01803
Phone +1 781.362.1330 | Mobile +1 978.793.2162 | Fax +1 781.362.1400 |

[1] “Secure Channel for Trustworthiness” Technical Note - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/uddi-spec/200503/msg00028.html
[2] “HTTP Basic and Digest Authentication” Technical Note - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/11960/uddi-spec-tc-tn-httpauth-20050321.doc
[3] “WS-Security Modeling” Technical Note http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/uddi-spec/download.php/12217/uddi-spec-tc-tn-wssecurity-20040328.doc