Subject: RE: UDDI Business Registry Shutdown and Transition

This is news to me, and in many ways disappointing. I thought one of the
goals of UDDI was to have a global directory, not just an API for
private registries.

In particular this seems a little premature since the v3 UBR never
really made it out of beta. Many of the implementations of UDDI are
still stuck at v2, the fact that the UBR was also effectively stuck at
v2 didn't help. Removing the UBR before a v3 UBR became production
rather than beta sends out the wrong message.

Moreover the current UDDI v3 spec itself mentions the existence of the
UBR in some key areas - namely key generation for publishing across
multiple registries (Section 8). Specifically:

"An important example of a root registry is the UDDI Business Registry,
which has a set of policies in place to generate unique uuidKeys as well
as to validate domainKeys through signatures that correlate with DNS
records.  These policies insure the uniqueness of both domainKeys and
uuidKeys within the UDDI Business Registry, and thus the UBR serves as a
reasonable root registry for many purposes.  In fact, establishing
alternate root registries is not recommended, as this would ultimately
defeat the goal of publishers being able to share data between multiple
registries with an assurance of avoiding a key collision.  By
acknowledging the UDDI Business Registry as a root, an affiliate
registry can establish inter-registry communication policies and
procedures with both the UDDI Business Registry and any other registry
which is an affiliate of the UDDI Business Registry."

Without a UBR providing this feature, this surely undermines the ability
of sharing UDDI information between enterprises? (and in any cases, the
removal of the UBR forces a rewrite of this section).

Matthew