Subject: Re: [uddi-spec] FW: W3C WS-Policy 1.5 Last Call review by OASIS UDDI Specification TC

I had raised an issue with WS-Policy that was more or less dismissed
by the WS-Policy WG, and I have not had the time to pursue it further.

My concern was how to specify and resolve indirect policy
attachments.  Both WSDL and UDDI can include a policy reference.

I was thinking that organizations/businesses that use a UDDI registry
for SOA governance may want to reference WS-Policy from UDDI tModels.
Rather than have a WSDL point to a WS-Policy document, I was thinking
that WSDL could point to the UDDI tModel, which then points to the
WS-Policy document.

If a policy change was needed, then the tModel would be updated to
point to the new policy, but the WSDL would still point to the same tModel.

If you had both the WSDL and the tModel pointing to a WS-Policy
document, and you wanted to update the policy, you may need to change
both the WSDL and the tModel to point to the new WS-Policy
document.  This assumes that the URL for the old and new WS-Policy
documents are different; you could have a URL for "current policy"
the way that W3C specs have a URL for the latest version, and
separate URLs for a specific (dated) version.

Here are some links to the threads in WS-Policy where this was discussed:

http://del.icio.us/mitrepauld/wsp+uddi

Daniel Roth suggested that a WSDL could include

<wsp:PolicyReference URI="urn:currentPolicy" />

where the URI attribute "identifies" the policy, but how you resolve
that URI is not specified.  Obviously, if the URI scheme is "http",
you would do HTTP GET to resolve it, but if the URI points to a
tModel, which then points to the policy, it is not clear from @URI
how to actually resolve the policy.  I had suggested adding an
optional RetrievalAlgorithm attribute that would be used to identify
a process for resolving @URI.  In the case where @URI is a URN (as in
Daniel's example), how do I resolve the URN (identifier) to a URL
that I can use to retrieve the policy?  Assuming I had a way to
resolve URNs to HTTP URLs, we are still in the same situation where
we don't know if the URL points to the policy or to a tModel.

I suggested that RetrievalAlgorithm would be similar to DigestAlgorithm.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Oct/att-0066/00-part

There is probably a UDDI TN needed to address this, especially since
I did not submit an "issue" to get my RetrievalAlgorithm idea into
the WS-Policy Attachment spec.

The TN could say something like

<wsp:PolicyReference URI="uddi:4345ff60-7fc4-11db-9fe1-0800200c9a66" />

when used in a WSDL, then the value of the URI attribute is a
tModelKey whose overviewURL points to a WS-Policy document.
This tModel should have a categoryBag as specified in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-ws-policy-attach-20061117/#RegisteringReusablePolicyExpressions
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-ws-policy-attach-20061117/#RegisteringPoliciesUDDIVersion3
(for v3)

We may need to get more involved in the TN, for example, if the @URI
holds a serviceKey whose categoryBag points to the policy as in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-ws-policy-attach-20061117/#ReferencingRemotePolicyExpressions.

There are several ways of doing the indirection, which is why I
suggested that WS-Policy Attachment define an optional
RetrievalAlgorithm attribute.

Note that WS-Policy allows
/wsp:PolicyReference/@{any}
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-ws-policy-20061117/#Policy_References

So, a UDDI TN could define a new namespace with a RetrievalAlgorithm
attribute to be used in wsp:PolicyReference elements.  However, the
RetrievalAlgorithm idea is generic and not tied to UDDI, so it seems
like RetrievalAlgorithm should be defined using the WS-Policy namespace.

Paul