uima message

Subject: Re: [uima] [Type System Base Model subgroup]

Hi all,

** To all members **
This mail contains addresses which are still not on the roaster.
It must be better to add these addresses to Cc.
Or should we use the To field to make sure who are the subgroup members?

# Two of us, "Yoshinobu Kano" and "Ngan Nguyen" have been regsitered
and joined to the mailing list after Dave sent us the full list.

And there may be mistakes about my name ...
though it is not so large issue:
my given name is "Yoshinobu", and my family name is "Kano".

** [Type systen base model] Subgroup Discussions **

* A new issue from my point of view

Related to OI_5. "Suggested Other Types" in the mail from Karin.

The syntactic structures are basically tree structures,
while the syntactic informations are really important
and frequently appear in many NLP cases.
Currently, tree structures can be expressed using general references to
other annotations.
In this way, it is difficult to extract or distinguish tree structures
from any graphs of object references,
specially when that is created by other people.

# We cannot express tree structures by stand-off spans (begin/end) only,
because it is impossible to assign orders only from the spans(begin/end)
to annotations which have the same spans.

My proposal is to include a special "tree node" type in the specification;
that special type has a reference to a parent node.

You may argue that this is too region specific issue.
But I don't think so because arbitrary object graphs have too much power
of expression,
and a lower class of expression is useful in many cases.

There are two problems in this proposal:
- we cannot assure that a graph which consist of these "nodes" is alway
a tree
- nodes cannot be shared by two or more trees
We should consider these issues if you accept this proposal.

* Comments for what Karin wrote:

C_1. I agree to Karin's opinion, i.e. make subtypes under the root type,
one without span features and another with span features (Annotation).
# I'm not sure but can we just extend the current "TOP" type
which does not have span features?

OI_1. Isn't it enough to describe in the specification:
"Every "CAS" and "view" should have a unique sofa ID,
and annotations refer by that sofa ID"?

I will consider other issues and send a mail later.

thanks,

Yoshinobu KANO
kano@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tsujii Lab., the University of Tokyo