uima message

Subject: Re: [uima] [Type System Base Model subgroup]

Attached is the Type System Base Model document, with an updated figure for
AnnotationGraphNode per the discussion between Yoshinobu and myself.

There are still many other issues for which discussion/feedback is
warranted...  I welcome your contributions.

Thanks,

Karin

On 3/9/07 11:02 AM, "KANO, Yoshinobu" <kano@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:

> Karin Verspoor wrote:
>> Actually, I should modify my proposal not to explicitly encode
> "parent" and
>> "child" but rather to simply represent inlinks and outlinks; that way
> we can
>> leave the semantics of the DAG up to the specific use case.
>>
>> I do see your point about unidirectional representation.  However, this
>> would require traversal of these structures to always proceed
> bottom-up in
>> the case of trees, which might not be natural.
>

> If "AnnotationGraphNode" can refer to itself (or any EObject) as a
> "nodeData",
> then the number of the objects will not grow,
> just the number of the links have effect to the spacial efficiency.
> Is it possible to modify "nodeData" link as above?
>
> Other issues in my previous mail can be represented
> by extending "AnnotationGraphNode" in user side types
> (e.g. we can define a class which extends both "AnnotationGraphNode" and
> "Annotation", if we adopt ECore as a type system language;
> we can define a subtype of "AnnotationGraphNode" which restricts the
> usage of links),
> and I agree that the approach with "AnnotationGraphNode" grasps
> more generalized things.
>

> Thilo W Goetz wrote:
>> It's these kinds of discussions that make me very suspicious of adding
>> more special-purpose types to the UIMA framework.  In particular, I
>> don't think that the standards group should be designing these top-down.
>>  I think it would be better to come up with a practical proposal for the
>> actual implementation, and see if other people adopt it.  If people seem
>> to converge on a common design for these things, then there's still time
>> to standardize them and put them in the OASIS work.
>

> Currently, there are some options to express tree structures:
>
> 1. begin/end spans (OpenNLP Parser in the UIMA SDK examples,
> though impossible to express the whole relations correctly),
> 2. parent references with a special feature name (Our group temporarily
> took this approach for our implementation),
> 3. parents/children, or inlinks/outlinks (in the previous discussion of
> this mail-list),
> etc.
>
> Our group had already encountered interoperability problems about it.
> Whenever we make an aggregation of a different component combination,
> like replacing a syntactic parser in an aggregation,
> we have to investigate what kind of type can be a part of a tree,
> how they represent the structure (options 1-3 or else).
>
> Such information may be described in some document if any,
> because it cannot be included in any UIMA data.
> But it is unclear where to search, whether it exists or not.
> So I think it would be important to provide graph representation types
> in the specification for the interoperability.
>

> On the other hand, "reference" is the natural and (as far as I know)
> [...]

Karin Verspoor, Computational Linguist
Knowledge and Information Systems Science team
Computer, Computation & Statistics division
http://public.lanl.gov/verspoor
email: verspoor@lanl.gov   Mail: Los Alamos National Laboratory
phone: 505-667-5086              PO Box 1663, MS B256
fax:   505-667-1126              Los Alamos, NM 87545

TypeSystemBaseModel_v2.doc