uima message

Subject: UIMA TC Call This Week (May 25th)

Hi All,

The telecon is ON at our usual time (11AM Eastern on Friday).

I will not be able to make this week's call, however. Eric Nyberg will fill in for me as acting Chair.

Let me remind everyone about where we are....

We are developing a platform independent specification for text and multi-modal analytics that should support interoperability among different UIMA applications and framework implementations. IBM submitted a strawman for such a specification to the TC at is inception.

To date, the TC has raised issues, taken votes and produced notes/documents describing what and how to revise the following sections of the strawman spec provided by IBM to meet its requirements:

1. CAS Specification
2. Type-System Base Model
3. Type-System Language

The remaining sections are: Behavioral Meta-Data Specification,  WSDL Service Descriptions, Processing Element Meta-data Specification,  Aggregate Analytic Descriptor Specification, SOAP Bindings, Java Bindings.

Abstract Interfaces and Constant IDs
We are mostly through the section on Abstract Interfaces. This is a critical section since it provides the logical foundation for the WSDL descriptions, the SOAP and Java Bindings.

We got hung-up on the issue of requiring that a UIMA service return a CAS such that the XMI ids are kept constant across the interface (e.g,, the object id referring to a particular annotation in the input CAS necessarily refers to the same annotation in the output CAS).

A delta interface that allowed analytics to respond with just updates to objects in the input CAS, would require that object id's are used to consistently across the interface. But this still does not require that the return of a complete CAS would respect "constant ids". We have not yet decided to require constant id's. It was suggested that describing or enforcing aspects of an analytics behavior may require  "constant ids".  Based on this, it was recommended that we defer the vote on constant ids until after we discussed behavioral metadata.

Behavioral Metadata
---------------------------------
Adam sent out a document summarizing this section for the TC's consideration.

A key perspective, in my opinion, is that the behavioral metadata specification should allow for extensibility but NOT burden the framework, application or component developer beyond their specific interest for reusability, validation and discoverability of their analytics.

While we have proposed OCL as a bedrock for expressing constraints over the content of the CAS, we did NOT intend that developers would be required to provide OCL constraints to declaratively express the behavior of their analytics.

Rather we intended that a higher level language, ultimately expressible and enforceable in OCL, be provided to facilitate developers to express relatively simple things about their analytics -- like required input types, expected output types. But that more expressive things may be declared by extending this language as per the needs of any given framework. Similarly, a framework may choose NOT to require any behavior metadata be available for a compliant analytic.

Ultimately, I think we would like to be in a situation, where if analytic developers want to provide some level of behavior meta-data, it is expressed with respect to the standard we provide and therefore how to interpret it for reuse, discoverability, validation and/or planning would be common and knowable.

As we discuss this section particularly in tomorrow's call we should keep focus on how the elements of the behavioral meta-data spec might or might not require "constant ids" (see above).

-Dave

David A. Ferrucci, PhD
Senior Manager, Semantic Analysis & Integration
Chief Architect,  UIMA
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
19 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY 10532
Tel: 914-784-7847, 8/863-7847